Extractor chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just bought a new extractor chimney as my kitchen is so tiny it has to placed near the wall next to a chimney breast ( well at least i think it is is goes all the way up and there is a small chimney at that section of the house as well as the main one) Could i connect the extractor hood into that rather than stretching it to the wall outside?

I hope this makes sense

Sponsored Links
Hi

I almost hate to say this but, if you'd bought a re-circulating chimney hood extractor, it wouldn't have needed to be vented outside :eek:
Is there any chance you could change it?

But since most people would believe that external venting is ten times better, why would he do that ?

@shen10

I don't think that's wise. The fan is unlikely to be able to drive the fumes up another 20(?) feet vertically, especially when they lose momemtum by venting from narrow pipe into larger chimney. They also won't have the temperature to make them rise like smoke in a chimney.

Could end up with kitchen smells in other rooms.

Hang on MW, this isn't water he's shifting!
The air pressure difference is neither here nor there.
There's no effective weight in the air as it gets pushed up the chimney.

Sponsored Links
air is fine but kitchen grease etc. :mad: it would be ok in a toilet but not a bathroom/shower either :idea:

@SNM

Physics was always one of my weakest subjexts even though i found it interesting and so i admit a little uncertainty but logically (my logic :) )would say:

1) Air certainly has mass! How else can it blow trees down or support a 300 tonne 747 which can't fly in a vacuum ?

2) As I see it you need a certain amount of energy to propel a given mass over a given distance and don't see it being present in the circumstances described.

dont vent up the chimney. Lots of posts about it. grease accumlation is jut one issue. Cant you take it in the ceiling void to an outside wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back