Kitchen Extractor Hood - Please help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There,

I’m currently renovating my kitchen and installing a new extractor hood. In the spot on the wall where I’m planning to install it on the other side of the wall in another room is a chimney breast with an open fire. I use this open fire on a regular basis so I know its working and has a good draw.

Does anyone know if it’s possible to duct the hood through the wall into the chimney breast? Do I need to get the chimney breast lined in case fat etc builds up?

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Interested in other views on this if the chimney was not in use in any of the floors above. I am in the early stages of planning a kitchen diner, and am considering putting the kitchen in the old diner, and the cooker "inside" the fireplace, hence wondering if the extraction can be led up the old chimney.

Apologies if it seems totally daft, but gotta ask..!

It's madness to consider breaking into a currently used flue to extract kithen fumes; it will reduce the draught, stink/smoke your house out & could be a potential risk to your life.

Using a flue that is not in use for kitchen extraction is also a bad idea; I doubt there is a residential cooker hood fan made that would be sufficient to drive such a large vertical column of air so it won’t work particularly well, grease laden moisture will also condense on the inside of the flue before it gets even ½ way up & I’m pretty sure it won’t meet Building Regulation requirements.

Filter hoods are useless &, as stated, do not meet current B Regs for extraction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back