Extractor, distance from hub

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all,
I am about to install the extractor fan in my new kitchen. I heard that there must me a minimum of 700mm between the extractor and the hob. But i also heard that it depends on the type of hob, i.e. Gas, electric. Anyone can confirm what the regulation says?

Sponsored Links
Hobs.
A minimum of 750mm clearance is required above a gas hob and 650mm above an electric hob to a cooker hood. The gap may be reduced to 727mm above a gas hob but the hood must be cleaned regularly to prevent a fire hazard. Wall units either side of a hood must be at least 366mm above.
Safety Regulations - Direct Electricals
callde.co.uk/safety_regulations.asp

however, unless you enjoy banging your head on the hood while you are cooking, I would place it slightly above head level.

For example if your worksurface was 800mm, and you were 1800mm tall, that would give you a 1000mm spacing, which is quite reasonable and does not look out of place.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, the problem is that my kitchen units are all leveled up. We could probably buy a smaller unit to hold the extractor. About banging my head the extractor cover only two of the four hob rings so we have head clearance...
In any case i think i will leave it below the 650mm. what is the worst that can happen?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back