Kitchen Extractor - use existing ridge vent or vent out wall


2 Sep 2013
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have had a gas fire removed from a bungalow. The flue connects via a 6 inch pipe to a ridge vent.

As part of kitchen renovations I want to add an extractor hood over the electric hob, and this ends up being the opposite side of the wall to where the fire used to be, so it would be convenient if it can be connected to the ridge vent.

Are there likely to be any problems connecting the extractor to the ridge vent in this manner? The vertical distance would be approx 2 metres max, but I'm wondering if that kind of ridge vent offers sufficient cross sectional area. Also would there be condensation issues inside the pipe due to the relatively difference in temperature between the ridge and the extractor? (cold attic)

The other option is to bring the pipe out horizontally, which is 2.7m to the nearest outside wall.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local