Extractor fan advice, bathrooms

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to replace two old Greenwood airvac extractor fans, any advice would be appreciated.

I have nearly finished renovating my bathrooms. I disconnected the current extractor fans, to clean them out, and make the renovations easier.

I don't like these fans. They are noisy, not particularly efficient, and clunky.

Due to the size of the back, I'm not sure what to do where modern fans are more compact.

The building is fast construction, new build. I own the flat not the exterior wall. Here is a picture of what I'm talking about

fan.jpg

The other one the vent turns a corner but is otherwise the same.

Are there adapters to fill that space, or will I have to cut something to fit? It is basically a hole behind there.

The second part of the question is what do you recommend? I hate the noise. It is a problem in the whole block. Noisy, clattering fans. The cut-out doesn't work well.

I see there are different categories of fan, what are the pros, and cons of each type?

I'm looking for silent, economical, efficient, convenient to fit.

Thanks very much, in advance.

Sponsored Links
if it's ducted you need a centrifugal fan

Xpelair DX400T or similar. They are more expensive than the cheap'n'cheerful axial fans that builders fit.

Xpelair DX400T or similar. They are more expensive than the cheap'n'cheerful axial fans that builders fit.

I think that is what I had. Can they be silent, or are they always prone to clatter?

Sponsored Links
There are short ducts, one turning a corner.

One shower room is extremely small, so needs good ventilation.

The reviews I read of this is it is noisy.

I'm hoping this more detailed schematic/photo will help

fan1.jpg

Note the duct length is approx 320mm, and the small clearance to the ceiling.

The other bathroom can wait.

Any advice would be appreciated, or any further information you would like just ask.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back