Extractor fan for cooker hood going into conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We bought a house in 2004 with a conservatory already built on the house, but the extractor ducting for the cooker hood goes into the conservatory. Would this be ok with current regulations or do we have to change this before we sell the property again.

And if we do have to change it how big or small of a job would it be to move the ducting to comply

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The BR’s haven’t changed since 2004 that states ducting into another room is considered acceptable. However and as the conservatory may have been built without BR’s (as most are exempt), then the existing ducting wouldn’t have come up. Assume there were no issues when you bought the property and in which case, you shouldn’t face any issues either.

Which is why I said the BR’s haven’t changed that they now state ducting into another room is considered acceptable :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Which is why I said the BR’s haven’t changed that they now state ducting into another room is considered acceptable :rolleyes:
Have you had gin on your cornflakes?

You can't vent a kitchen extractor into another room.

Just for you, is there any difference between these two sentences...

• The BR’s haven’t changed since 2004 that states ducting into another room is considered acceptable.
  • The BR’s have changed since 2004 that states ducting into another room is considered acceptable.

Just for you, is there any difference between these two sentences...

• The BR’s haven’t changed since 2004 that states ducting into another room is considered acceptable.
  • The BR’s have changed since 2004 that states ducting into another room is considered acceptable.

Just to be clear, are you stating that extracting from a kitchen into a conservatory is acceptable?

Do you always give crap advice to clients, or is it just a weekend pursuit? It appears that you don't actually know what current regulations apply to the OP's situation, nor the implications when they come to sell - which was basis of the OP's question.

According to approved document F, you can vent a habitable room into a conservatory (5.14-5.16). But I cant find anything allowing a wet room (kitchen) to do that.

Even if it's allowed, it's a crap idea, I don't want my conservatory to be full of burnt bacon smoke. Some say I should just learn to cook, but what do they know.

But, the key question is, do you need to fix it? No. There's no requirement for a house to be up to current regs for sale.

Arguably by building the conservatory on the back of the house they made a change to the ventilation and, depending on the requirements at the time, might have been naughty. The conservatory may not have required BR sign off, but the ventilation changes might. To tell you'd need to know when the conservatory was built, of it did or did not have BR sign off and what the rules were at that time (once upon a time cooker extractors were optional, not required).

This is typically what indemnity insurance is used for. Not worth the trouble quibbling over it.

Just to be clear, are you stating that extracting from a kitchen into a conservatory is acceptable?

I never said it was acceptable, prior or post 2004. If you are unable to interpret the wording of posts correctly and now realising there is a difference to the two statements above, then I can’t help you.

You’re always out to try and be a pain in the *rse, plenty of examples across the forum with various of members and which is apparent from the number of messages I’ve received. Nobody expects any different from you anymore *yawn*

According to approved document F, you can vent a habitable room into a conservatory
No you are reading the requirements incorrectly.

The inner room can be ventilated via the external room, which is completely different.

In any case Part F does not apply.

which is apparent from the number of messages I’ve received
Are you seriously saying that you get lots of people messaging you to have a cry like you're some sort of agony aunt?

Oh please.

I hope you give better advice than you do for construction matters.

No you are reading the requirements incorrectly.

The inner room can be ventilated via the external room, which is completely different.

In any case Part F does not apply.
You're probably right on both points, but could you explain why I'm wrong on part F and it doesn't apply?

You can get recirculating cooker hoods that vent back into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back