Extractor Fan Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Im currently planning a small downstairs shower room which is to be situated where an old outhouse was (but previously incorporated into the house itself.

The problem i have is that i am worried about steam build up in the shower enclosure istelf. The enclosure will be a 1200 x 800 enclosure and approx 3 inches from the ceiling.

I am wondering if it is possible to actually fit an extractor fan inside the shower enclosure to remove excess steam, the only concern is that I cannot fit it into the ceiling as its a concrete ceiling and was wondering if it could be wall mounted ?

I have tried to find information and found details such as SELV and IPX7 etc but i wanted to know if anyone could point me in the right direction for an actual product that meets my needs if it is at all possible anyway.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It will be preferable to have a duct into the enclosure, and the fan outside. Then you will not have to worry about it being in the wet area.

You can get rectangular ducting which will fit through your gap. If you need to, you can convert it to round (e.g. where it goes through the wall or where it joins the fan).

It is absolutely essential that you run the fan all the time the shower is in use, and afterwards, until the enclosure has dried out. Otherwise you will get damp, mould and mildew. The best way is usually to have it set to come on with the light switch, and run on with a timer. Some people :rolleyes: have a psychological aversion to ventilation and will try to turn it off.

If you can fill in the gap between the ceiling and the enclosure, and duct the extractor from the inside of the enclosure, this will prevent so much steam drifting out into the house. You say you have a concrete ceiling; this will be cold and prone to condensation, so an insulating layer (you can get rigid foam boards) with an impervious layer on the warm side will help.

p2622312_l.jpg

p2623229_l.jpg

Hi thanks for the prompt response.

Sorry when I said its a concrete ceiling i didnt mean it would be left that way just that it will stop me fitting an extractor fan in the ceiling. I will in fact be framing and boardin ghte ceiling and insulating behind to reduce the cold.

So do you suggest that I try and close up the shower enclosure to make it more of a steam room enclosure ?

The exhust type pipe within the shower seems a possibility but i dont want to make it un-sightly.

Also on your point about the fan coming on and staying on after the shower has gone off. I think i would prefer to fit it to the shower as the room itself with get no steam other than when the shower is in use and i dont like ones which come on when you have the light on as there is really no need in this case.

Ill carry on searching and have a look how you fit these types of exhaust system fans.

So you dont suggest IPX7 ones that possibly go inside the enclosure ?

Cheers

carlito79uk said:
So do you suggest that I try and close up the shower enclosure to make it more of a steam room enclosure ?
I recommend that you try to contain the steam within the enclosure. Then
the extractor will have more chance of controlling the steam.

carlito79uk said:
The exhust type pipe within the shower seems a possibility but i dont want to make it un-sightly.
It seems to me that a small grille in the enclosure will be less unsightly than a great fan sticking out

carlito79uk said:
Also on your point about the fan coming on and staying on after the shower has gone off. I think i would prefer to fit it to the shower as the room itself with get no steam other than when the shower is in use and i dont like ones which come on when you have the light on as there is really no need in this case.
Ah, I see you are one of those people with the aversion :LOL: Lay in a good stock of Sodium Hypochlorite to kill the mould and mildew. If you use it once a week that should keep it under control. The damp however will penetrate the building structure.

carlito79uk said:
So you dont suggest IPX7 ones that possibly go inside the enclosure ?
I don't believe that is the best way to do it.

Sponsored Links
Fitting the fan at the far end of the duct reduces the noise level and thus makes ventilation a bit more "acceptable" but take care as condensation may occur in the ducting and will need to the drained away.

Using a humidity switch will (almost) ensure the fan runs whenever there is humid air in the room. Fit it as far from the shower area as possible to take account of all the humidity in the room.

The only proper way to wire it so the shower switch controls it is to use a contactor. I can never find ban's pictures though. anyone have a link?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back