Extractor fan in roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best way to fit a vent in a roof for en suite extractor fans? I can't really get the outlet to the exterior wall, it's a Victorian house and the ensuites have been added in the centre of the rooms. Would a normal 4" boiler style capped vent/pipe with the ali flashing, made for roofs do? Although I really need a way of preventing blow back.

I should mention that the roof has no overhanging soffit - the slates only protrude a couple of inches from the wall.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thx

Sponsored Links
Yeah but you can't have those facing the sky on a roof. I wondered if there was a vent pipe which had a 90º bend, then something like this on the end. Would look a bit like a submarine tho!!

Sponsored Links
Perfect, thank you - that's just what I need, never seen one.

Presume I could connect the standard square exterior vent with blow back flaps in line with this so the wind that gets in gets only as far as the the flaps of the square vent?
:)

On the back of the fan is the blow back flap (within the round pipe spigot) you attach your flexi pipe duct to this and then the other end to the slate vent.

Massive difference in price - look at this compared to the link you sent. Guess cos it's not lead?
That's correct, however this is why I also wrote
Other designs are available just google slate tile vent.
Depends if its highly visible or not, you particularly care what it looks like or not, the kind of house it is, your budget etc etc. You choose, tis your roof. :p

Cheers - it's at the top of a 3 story house which couldn't be seen from our garden if you tried.. Made my decision! :)

Yeah but you can't have those facing the sky on a roof.
I'm not entirely sure about that. They can certainly be installed in the ceiling and the shutter opens due to pressure. However, as the MI don't show a vertical discharge pipe, I'll shut up now. ;)

Picture included of the afore mentioned vent which was installed in my roof a few months ago, they are quite discrete once installed, and I haven't experience any blow back. I used a 4" flexi duct pipe, if you use this you will have to buy the round spigot attachment as the vents have an oval shaped connection on the end.
Regards
Otto

Further to my recent reply - sorry, just realised the description says 'connection spigot'!! Doh!!

:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back