Extractor fan isn't working?

If you go for a box in then because you have coving it's going to stick out a mile and look crap , you may have to remove all your coving to disguise it.

What is the other side of the wall the fan is on?

I personally would stick with a recirculating fan , not ideal I know
Yeah thinking of doing recirculating one again but with that better brand.

The other side of wall is my bedroom.

Sponsored Links
If you don't have coving in your bedroom you could box it in , in your bedroom.

If you extend the boxing in from the exterior wall across to the opposite wall , it will be nicely hidden and won't be very noticeable

If you don't have coving in your bedroom you could box it in , in your bedroom.

If you extend the boxing in from the exterior wall across to the opposite wall , it will be nicely hidden and won't be very noticeable
That's where I sleep if I was to drill a big hole through internal wall. It would be right above my head

Sponsored Links
That's where I sleep if I was to drill a big hole through internal wall. It would be right above my head

It will be against the ceiling and you would hide the vertical pipe in the extractor flue.

It's only a six inch pipe how big do you think the pipe is?

Are you worried you're going to hit your head on it when you get out of bed in the morning?

no it won't, unless you choose to sleep on the kitchen worktop.

It will be on the other side of the wall. There is a short, direct run to the external wall, next to the window.

15738389470046096596492144526577-jpg.175751

I guess that most of the time you will not have the cooker hood running while you are asleep.

You can conceal the duct with wall cabinets. If you want, you can have a row of top-boxes (about 350mm high) and run the duct inside them, cutting round holes in the ends rather than notching from the back which would weaken them. They are various widths, you can probably get 1000mm, 900mm, 800mm, 600mm and 500mm to fill the distance.

examples https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_...id=m570.l1313&_nkw=hood+wall+cabinet&_sacat=0
but you can get much cheaper ones.

you could either get doors to fit out your whole kitchen matching, or, cheaper, flat slab doors in white, or painted to match the walls.

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
no it won't, unless you choose to sleep on the kitchen worktop.

It will be on the other side of the wall. There is a short, direct run to the external wall, next to the window.

15738389470046096596492144526577-jpg.175751

I guess that most of the time you will not have the cooker hood running while you are asleep.

You can conceal the duct with wall cabinets. If you want, you can have a row of top-boxes (about 350mm high) and run the duct inside them, cutting round holes in the ends rather than notching from the back which would weaken them. They are various widths, you can probably get 1000mm, 900mm, 800mm, 600mm and 500mm to fill the distance.

examples https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/m.html?_...id=m570.l1313&_nkw=hood+wall+cabinet&_sacat=0
but you can get much cheaper ones.

you could either get doors to fit out your whole kitchen matching, or, cheaper, flat slab doors in white, or painted to match the walls.

Sounds good. Dont need them but could find a use for these cabinets and they would hide the duct. Look better than boxing in. You're a genius. If I do this I'll get smallest possible I guess and so they match other colours of units in kitchen

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back