Extractor Fan position (layout attached)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

What would be the best position for an extractor fan in your opinion? I thought about a low voltage one somewhere along the shower/bath area but I have a dillema whether I should do it as far as away from the source of fresh air (door) and go towards the window or should I fit it as close as possible towards the shower head? Thanks

All the best
bathroom.JPG

Sponsored Links
Well, you have a window so a fan isn't really required.
Surely the window, rather than the door, is the source of fresh air.
If you must have one then, presumably, above the shower would be best.

All domestic electricity is low voltage. Up to 50V (12V) is called Extra-LV.
240V fans are allowed as long as manufacturer says so and are at least IPX4.

Unlike EFL, I don't believe that your window will be constantly open, nor that the wind direction will constantly be sucking out of the window, rather than blowing in and pushing the steam and WC smells into the rest of your house.

Your diagram suggests you will have a ducted fan rather than a wall mounted fan. Ducted fans can be very quiet and powerful.

The water vapour will rise toward the ceiling because it is lighter than air. Fresh air will enter through the gap under the bathroom door and will stratify under the steam. So as long as the ceiling fan is running during and after every shower, it will catch the cloud. For other odours, it will be better to have the fan as far as possible from the door. This may also allow you to have a shorter duct. However the fan needs to be in a position where you can easily reach it for maintenance (lofts are often dark and cramped).

Thanks, yes you are right about the window, it will be closed most of the time and yes, I will have a ceiling mounted extractor fan. Can I assume centre or top (on my drawing) above bath will be the best positions? Also my ducting runs towards shower so the closer to the shower the shortest the duct.

Thanks

bathroom1.jpg

Sponsored Links
It's a reasonably small bathroom, so if your fan is reasonably powerful then it does't matter much where you put it.
If anyone in your household is guilty of making terrible smells, put it closer to the loo....

Thanks, yes, it's pretty small and I'm probably the one the feels guilty the most ;)

If you go for an inline fan rather than a ceiling mount fan it will be more powerful, quieter and less obtrusive on the ceiling.

I'd go somewhat for your middle mark, but assuming it works out with timber above, it's gotta be inline with the lights for me and then centre of those two lights. I think it would look wrong not quite in line. The small difference won't make a difference to airflow.

And can I have a fan isolator in the loft when using SELV fan? I'm trying to minimize amount of switches, pullcords etc.

If you get an inline fan, it will be 230 and the best place for an inline isolator is next to the fan.

If you go for ceiling mounted and 12v, you will need to put the transformer somewhere - if that's in the loft, then best to put the isolator there too.

We have 2 bathrooms, one an en-suite which has the ceiling mounted in-line fan near the window and the room gets quite steamy when we use the shower.
In the other room the ceiling fan, which is also in line, is mounted above the shower head and we have no problem with steam whatsoever. Both are Manrose though not sure if the same model. Both are also very quiet in operation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back