extractor fan protected by 3 amp fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
replased extractor and need to protect it with a 3 amp fused spur, problem is the fused spur has only got nutral and live terminals. how do you isolate the switch live in the event of a fan problem. i have taken the switch live from the switch live in the cieling rose.
ps i am taking my supply from the lighting surcuite. can any one help?

Sponsored Links
1) If you have taken the supply from the lighting circuit (presumably fused at 6A) you do not need to fuse it again.

2) You fit a fan isolator switch. These are readily available and purpose made. They are 3-pole (live, switched live, neutral).

JohnD said:
1) If you have taken the supply from the lighting circuit (presumably fused at 6A) you do not need to fuse it again.

2) You fit a fan isolator switch. These are readily available and purpose made. They are 3-pole (live, switched live, neutral).
i do not want to chase the wall out for the cable for the isolator switch this is why i wanted to do it htis way. would my way be against the regs?

I don't understand.

The fan isolator will fit in the box you were going to have used for the (not required) FCU

Sponsored Links
malcolm27 said:
i do not want to chase the wall out for the cable for the isolator switch this is why i wanted to do it htis way. would my way be against the regs?

You answered your own question before you asked it.

malcolm27 said:
how do you isolate the switch live in the event of a fan problem

the fused spur is in the loft where the manufactures told me to put it so i don't see it on the wall in my bedroom. depending on wich modules you use it needs to be connected to a double-pole isolating mains switch that conforms to cat.111 or as a contact separation of at least 3 mm. if i fitted an isolating switch where does the 3 amp protection come from the diagram shows the 3 amp fuse has to be between the isolator/pull cord. if i continue withe the fused spur how can i overcome the issue with the switch live going straight to the module rather than through the fused spur .
ps thanks for your comments john. :idea:

malcolm27 said:
the fused spur is in the loft where the manufactures told me to put it

What about accessibility for maintenance or cleaning??

Have you talked to the mfrs tech dept about the necessity of fusing down again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back