Extractor Fan Solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As you'll see from the below pictures, my cooking hob has an extractor fan.

What the kitchen installers failed to do (before I owned the house) was to install a pipe and a vent from the extractor fan hood. This obviously leads to undesirable problems when cooking, more noticeably in the winter months.

I want to install one, but I don't know where to take the pipe.

Directly behind the cooker hood is an outside wall, but the wall you see is at the abutment of the coal house roof. To the left and in the corner is a small area but the window lintel sits there and there is no room further up that wall due to other windows and tight spaces. To the right (just off shot) is part of a wall which used to be the divide between kitchen and dining room. I could go through this and then onto the outside wall (away from coal house) but the vent will then be below the bathroom window and I very often have this ajar to promote ventilation.

Has anybody any alternative ideas? I've heard of charcoal cooker hood filters but I'm not sure this would eliminate the need for piping.

Attachments

• IMG_1235.JPG
    IMG_1235.JPG
    94.8 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_1236.JPG
    IMG_1236.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_1237.JPG
    IMG_1237.JPG
    50.4 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_1238.JPG
    IMG_1238.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 283
Sponsored Links
Could you go downwards in a rectangular channel and out lower down? The channel may blend in with the boxing in that’s there already.
1A5FB753-91F9-448E-96B0-2EBAEEA2E457.jpeg

Or out through the coal house?

I did think about the boxing in and it's not been tiled over, plus there are no windows above there. I'm just wondering if that's wide enough. That boxing is around 3" deep and 2" wide for pipes (as we have concrete floors downstairs)

The roof abutment meets the wall at exactly the point above the extractor fan. I'm not a roofer but I'm not sure how it'd work... this is the view from outside.

Capture.JPG

The extractor might have a back outlet as well as a top one to get you into there and through.

Sponsored Links
can't you come up and to the left, over the cupboards?
The lintel can't be that big? you only need a 6/8" hole?

Not ideal but you could remove the above cupboard pipe box to gain more space? The boxing in is often huge compared to the pipes.

I keep meaning to add a new layer above my kitchen cupboards, using sliding or lifting glass doors to keep the area clean and more use of the space above.
You could do the same to hide the ducting but obscure the glass.

The extractor might have a back outlet as well as a top one to get you into there and through.

I'll check for a vent at the back - that's something I hadn't considered thanks Ian.

can't you come up and to the left, over the cupboards?
The lintel can't be that big? you only need a 6/8" hole?

The lintel isn't that big no, but doesn't the hole have to be as wide as the ducting? If it only has to be that small I can do that myself and will have room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back