Extractor fan too LOUD!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had my bathroom refurbished and an extractor fan mounted in the window (it seems to be an Xpelair SL100), which goes on and off with the lights. Unfortunately it\\\'s proving to be too noisy, especially at night when everything else is quiet.

Is there anything I can do to reduce the noise, such as put something in the cicuit to slow it down a little? The bathroom is pretty small, so I don\\\'t think I need it to be very powerful.

Alternatively, I\\\'d be interested in a new fan if anyone could recommend a quiet one, or perhaps with variable speed? It needs to be window-mounted and 100mm. With hindsight, I think i\\\'d also like it to be humidity controlled so it only comes on when really needed as well. That way, I could presumably make it independent of the light switch, because the window means the light is rarely used during the day.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Sponsored Links
If you were to hire a core-drill for half a day, you could cut a 105mm hole trough the wall surprisingly easily. I don't find wall fans are noisy.

Or if you can get into the space above the ceiling, you could fit an inline fan, which would be in the roof space and isolated from resonant surfaces.

You are forgetting - there's 2 reasons we have fans in bathrooms. humidity is only one. ;)

Regarding the wall and ceiling options - unfortunately I'm in a Grade II listed building so I need listed building consent for my changes. I was granted permission to replace the existing window-mounted fan as part of my refurb, but not to make holes in the wall. Plus it's a 4th floor flat so this would be tricky anyway without easy access to the outside wall, and the ceiling is solid concrete between me and the flat above.

So really i'm restricted to window-mounted fans only. So can anyone recommend a quiet, window fan?

That's a fair point about the humidity not being the only reason, but it is the main reason (after all, there's always air fresheners), so i'm still interested in humidistat fans. But the ideal solution would perhaps me a quiet fan so that i could leave it on all the time someone was in there (e.g. light-switch or IR operated).

thanks

Sponsored Links
When you say the fan is too noisy do you mean the sound of the motor or the air flow over the fan blades or is it vibrating in the window(not fitted properly).

Initially it was even noisier and seemed to be rattling the window frame, but i tightened the fittings up and it got a bit better (no rattling). But it still seems very loud, which seems to be mainly the airflow...

As the model in question is a transformer fed one I ask if the noise is perceived as a loud buzzing sound or air flow?

Tim

I certainly wouldn't describe it as buzzing. I'm pretty sure it's just airflow.

It just seems to be too powerful for a small bathroom (don't have the exact measurements to hand but it must be less than 4 sq m, because it is just over the length of a bath down one side, and roughly square).

The building is 110 years old. I don't know how old the current window is, but it's a big old fashioned sash style window, so may be contributing to the noise. But i think i've eliminated any rattling, so it's just down to the airflow through the fan now.

thanks

A larger fan (e.g. 150m) can run slower than a 100mm so should be quieter for the same airflow.

I once had a 12" Vent-axia from an old office block, was whisper-quiet (but looked like a jet engine)

Centrifugal fans are also quieter (but bigger on the inside :(

A duct through the wall would definitely make it easier if you can manage it.

Is there no sign of an old airbrick you could open up?

Unfortunately there's no way I can go through the wall. Window mounting is my only option, and due to the size of the panes in sash window, i'm limited to 100mm/4in fans.

I'm writing this at work, so can only check the fan itself when i get home in the evening. I did this last night, and I've actually revised my opinion a little bit! I think the sound is a combination of airflow and vibration.

I don't suppose there's much that can be done about airflow noise on a single speed fan, but perhaps i can dampen the vibrations somehow. I've tried putting my hand against the pane of glass, or the whole window, and pushing/pulling etc (there's a tiny bit of movement of the window inside the frame because it's an old wooden one), and i can vary the noise level. However it only seems to get louder :( .

Are there any products that will fit between the fan and the glass it is fitted in, possibly to dampen the vibrations?

My other option is to go for something like the Manrose WF100H which i've spotted on-line. It is dual speed, with the fast speed operated by a pull cord when required, and the slow speed operated automatically by a humidistat. So it would come on automatically to get rid of any steam, and could be switched on manually in the event of a bad smell! The slower speed is also adjustable, so i could try to get a good balance between noise and flow. The only downside is that at its full speed, it's rated slightly louder than my current Xpelair fan (41dB vs 39dB).

Anyone used the Manrose WF100H, or any of their other 100mm fans?

cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back