Extractor fan transformer box problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

First post from a novice so bare with me...

Replaced our bathroom extractor fan as it stopped working, with a Manrose fan and transformer. This is very similar to what we had before.

What should happen...
The fan turns on when the bathroom light is switched on, but has a seperate switch above so it can be turned off.
The transformer is in the loft and has a timer which determines how long the fan carries on after the light is switched off.

Have put the L, LS, and N wires into the box and this illimuniates the little light in the box and shows up on my tester. Fine! The problem is that there doesn't then seem to be any power coming out of the box! :cry:

Can anyone help?

Thanks Sid

Sponsored Links
Do you have a multimeter. You need first to test between neutral and live and neutral and switched live to confirm there is 230v on both. Then you need to see if there is 12v on the output terminals to the fan and also at the fan itself.
You'll need a multimeter to do this.

Thanks for the response...

Taylortwocities";p="2075143 said:
Do you have a multimeter.

I've got a Rapitest power tester - Will that do?

You need first to test between neutral and live and neutral and switched live to confirm there is 230v on both.

Yep! The light between 220 and 240 lights up on both.

Then you need to see if there is 12v on the output terminals

Nope. There's nothing lighting up here!

to the fan and also at the fan itself.

...coz there's nowt from the box, there's nowt going to the fan.

Help!

Sponsored Links
You mean you hadn't connected it up before deciding that there was no power being supplied to it?

I've seen some stupid t**ts in my time here.

Never before encountered one so stupid as to think that a transformer wasn't working because the fan wasn't going round when it wasn't connected to the transformer.

We don't actually know that. The idea was floated by Coldslaw from his grass hut. My guess is termination on to insulation, not the conductor.

Never before encountered one so stupid as to think that a transformer wasn't working because the fan wasn't going round when it wasn't connected to the transformer.
Come on now, be fair to the OP...... like many other people he may believe that anything electrical can now be installed using wireless technology :cry:

I've seen some stupid t**ts in my time here.

..errr no. The issue was that I couldn't detect any current from the box. Couldn't see the point in connecting the fan if the transformer was faulty. As I said, I'm a novice, but TTC gave me exactly the info I needed, got a multimeter, there was current that my poxy little Rapitest didn't pick up. Connected the fan - all good.

This forum was perfect, thanks to TTC. I had to spend £20 on a multitester which I guess is a lot cheaper than getting a spark in to do the job.

This forum was perfect, thanks to TTC. I had to spend £20 on a multitester which I guess is a lot cheaper than getting a spark in to do the job.
But still far more then just connecting the fan to the transformer in the first place?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back