Shower fan transformer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello to all.

My problem is that my shower fan has stopped working after about a year.

It uses a manrose transformer at 12v ac to a manrose fan.

It operates off the light switch and has no isolator.

I have exactly the same in the bathroom which I have disconnected and replaced in the shower room but no joy.

I have connected them back to bathroom and they still work, so I know it's not the fan or transformer. Even so I have bought a new transformer and still nothing.

When I turn the light switch on, the transformer light comes on and it has 240v going in, but nothing going out.

I also have 240v at the switch. I have checked all wiring for continuity and it is good.

I have double checked connections and all are good. I am now lost. Has anyone got any ideas? Please bear in mind I am omly a d.i.y er and have no training, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Just to clarify a few points. You took a working fan ,and working transformer from another room ,fitted them in your shower room and they didnt work. Put them back where they came from ,where they worked again ok. At the supply terminals of the original transformer ,measuring voltage across live and neutral you measured 240 volts ?
If that is all correct then there would appear to be a fault between the output of the transformer and the fan . What wiring is between them ?

Sponsored Links
Yes correct. I don't know what the wiring is but it was done by an electrician and worked for about a year. I checked wiring for continuity and its good, and I have also connected new wiring directly from the transformer to the fan. All to no avail.

Very odd, can't help but think you are missing something.
Out of curiosity ,have you tried fitting the fan that doesn't work into the bathroom ,using the transformer that is currently there and working ?

Yes, fan worked upstairs. It's got me baffled. I phoned two electricians about two weeks ago to come and have a look at it, but both have let me down. I will have to try and get another one to take a look. Thanks for trying.

Is there a junction box somewhere in the faulty supply?
If a wire has come off but is just about sitting next to the terminal you may get a positive continuity but the current supply is not enough to run anything. Check all the connections from the light switch down for proper fit.

Hi. No junction box. It is a downstairs extension for a shower room. It goes from outside light switch to transformer, to fan. I will recheck all connections again. Cheers.

Hi just to say I have finally gotten round to checking all connections which as far as I could tell are all secure. I have now given up, and will wait for an electrician to hopefully sort it out. I will let you know if I get to the fault. Thanks to everyone that replied.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back