Rewire 24v to 12v transformer for bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I had a selv bathroom fan (12v) and transformer (24v to 12v) installed, that has recenly stopped working. The fan turns on when i switch my light pull cord on and turns off when the light is turned off (then 10 minute timer after).

A couple of days ago the fan stopped working and i'm worried the bathroom will get mouldy now. So i want to replace whatever has died as quickly as possible. I'm assuming the transformer died maybe due to the fan being on for too long as the light was left on as this has happened to me before.

I was wondering whether i could replace the transformer with a pullcord override switch model to get the following result: when light is turned on, the fan will turn on but i have the option to stop the fan turning on with the pullcord from the transformer. So have a switched live supply going to a transformer which has a pullcord override on/off. Not sure whether this will prevent thelight switch from turning on though.

Any help would be great

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back