bathroom extractor fan problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, could really do with some help with my extractor fan. The fan used to come on when turning the bathroom light and and then run on for about 5 minutes once light is turned off. The fan stopped working a few months ago and I'm trying to get it working again. I've checked with a multimeter that I'm getting 12v at the fan which I am and also checked to see if the transformer in the loft is sending 12v which it is ( I'm actually getting 13v). I've replaced fan and transformer still no joy, any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You've described two problems - the original fan stopped working for reasons unknown (several possibilities). You've replaced it, so the original problem has gone away and your new problem is that the replacement doesn't work. You say you're getting power through; is it a humidistat fan and the stat needs setting up? Have you actually fitted a mains voltage fan to a 12V transformer? Did you get the fan on e-bay and it's a duffer?

More information would help.

pj

Before I changed the fan and transformer I hadn't checked what voltage I was getting so when the new fan didn't work and new transformer didn't work I reconnected the original ones. I then got a multimeter that's when I realised I was receiving the correct voltage. I know the transformer is getting power cos the light on the transformer comes on someone suggested it could be a broken neutral???

Sorry forgot to mention the fan I bought was a manrose from screwfix but I did think it might just be a dud so bought another manrose from b&q still the same outcome they weren't humistat and the transformer has a timer function which I'm sure works because you continue to get 12v at fan input for a few minutes after light is switched off

Sponsored Links
I'm not clear if you got the fan and the transformer as a set or got them separately, if separately you may well have a 240v fan which won't run from a 12v transformer

Pj

Wrong fan, as said.

Get a 12 v manual fan, preferably the same make as the transformer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back