Extractor fan wiring. Is this correct?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok. I'm about to install a humidistat extractor fan into a downstairs bathroom. I think I've got the wiring sorted, but would just like that final "yes, that's ok" before I start.

Anyway, here's a pic I drew to help me with the wiring. (no earth in picture just to simplify things! It will be there when i install it!) :

fanwiring.jpg

Basically, the feed comes from the lighting circuit and enters junction box 1, which has the standard lightswitch/light branches, I branch out of this junction box to a 3Amp, double pole, isolating switch (outside bathroom), which then goes into junction box 2.

Junction box 2 then sends a live to the second connector in the light switch to act and the "switched live" for the fan as well as sending a continuous feed via the non switched lived and neutral (which can be cut off using the isolating switch)

The fan will be humidity controlled as well as via the light switch.

Does this look ok?[/img]

Sponsored Links
Use a 3 pole fan isolator and route the switched live from the lighting through it as well as your permanent live and neutral.
That way the fan can be safely isolated.

Use a 3 pole fan isolator and route the switched live from the lighting through it as well as your permanent live and neutral.
That way the fan can be safely isolated.

So, on the picture, it would sit between junction box 2 and the fan, instead of between the two junction boxes? (sorry i find illustrating instructions easier to understand and clarify)

Run a 3c+e from the light fitting (assuming there's a permanent live present) through a 3 pole isolator to the fan.

You'll then have a permanent live (for humidistat and timer overun), a switched live (for operation with the light) and a neutral. All three conductors can then be safely isolated with the 3 pole isolator.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back