Extractor Fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi sorry if I'm going over old ground but I have searched for the answer but don't seem to be able to find it.
I am changing and extractor fan in a downstairs toilet. The old fan was activated via the light switch in the toilet and ran on for few minutes after the light was switched off, there is also a isolater switch high on the wall for the fan so when this was switched off the fan didn't operate at all when the light was on. I have removed the old fan it also has a pullcord fitted that has been cut and left in the on position there are L, N and a yellow SW/L cables. I have purchased a replacement fan with a run on timer but no pullcord and the terminal connections inside are labelled L, N and T (timer I think).
My question is can I connect the yellow SW/L to the timer terminal in the new fan, I'm thinking this will just operate the same as the previous fan (pullcord on all time) and can still be isolated by the wall switch if needed otherwise it will come on when the light is on and run on for selected period when light is off?
Cheers,
Darren.

Sponsored Links
Just connect it up like the old one.

One query re the cable though. I assume that you have 3 core cable plus earth (ie red blue and yellow plus a bare wire).
Or has some muppet installed only two core and earth and isusing the earth wires as the switched live?

Just connect it up like the old one.

One query re the cable though. I assume that you have 3 core cable plus earth (ie red blue and yellow plus a bare wire).
Or has some muppet installed only two core and earth and isusing the earth wires as the switched live?

In the ceiling light side I have the usual red, black and earth connections in the loop plus the light switch side choc blocked together with the yellow connected to the live side, in the wall isolater for the fan I have 2red, 2 blue, 2 yellow and 2 earths earthed inside the switch back.
Hope this makes sense.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back