Extras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a price off a joiner to fit stairs , door cases , a door frame , 2 old doors and 14 oak window sills . His work is faultless but he keeps asking me to pay for extra things . for example he wants 15 quid extra because he had to cut down the frame to suit the door . Is this normal ? I would assume that when he came to look at the job he would of taken these things into account . I don't want to tell him to sling his hook if this is normal practise because he is good but at the same time i don't want to be taken for a fool . Any ideas ?

He told me they hadn't sent wood for the bit round the edge of the stairs (where people bang theair heads ) i have got the piece of wood but imagine now that he will probably charge me 15 quid for that too ???

Sponsored Links
did he give you a quote or estimate ? if its an estimate the price can fluctuate but as for charging you for chopping off the bottom of the casing he is having a laugh its normal to have to cut the bottom off the casings to ensure the head is level if its a quote unless you have added any extra work its a fixed price unless agreed by you

no it was a fixed price . he is also charging 15 quid because he had to remove a piece plaster board too . I think perhaps he under charged me to get the job and is now trying to make up the shortfall. He also wanted to fix my sills with expanding foam but i told him that i could of done that thats why i needed a joiner to do that dowel cover the screw thing !! Thanks for reply

er i want 25 quid just t reply to this post :LOL: :LOL:

as said he's taking the rise,i think.
what else has he asked,sorry increased?

Sponsored Links
er i want 25 quid just t reply to this post :LOL: :LOL:

as said he's taking the rise,i think.
what else has he asked,sorry increased?

:LOL:

He brought a cheap handle for my temp door for 10 quid then told me on friday it was 15 quid .

i think so i have held some of his money back that he asked for from his price for work . i shall discuss it with him on monday on site . shame his work is spot on. He said on the phone last night i am just a woman and i didn't understand what he said :eek: but the builder was there when he came over to look at the job we cannot both be wrong eh ?

think with his chaep prices will soon have your pants down if your not to careful.

next he will be charging you £30 for a nail.

hes tryin the old mechanics trick of ooooh cause your a woman if he has underpriced tough titty pay him his original price when all work is complete and if he wants to argue over a few quid then you wont use him again and he still wont get it good joiners are hard to find i know im one of em and noone seems to be finding me this month lol

I think i will take your advice. I think i will get the plasterer to do the landing monday and get him back after to do the balustrade and last 2 sills together then pay him the remander of his cash in one hit . Then if he wont come back to quote for putting the proper doors on in jan i try find someone else .

unless hes a bully he will accept that wont want to lose the 2nd fix u have to be strong when people are like that hope everything works out ok for you :D

Cheers kid i won't lose out i just wanted to know if what he was saying about cutting down the frame etc was normal practice . He is a bit condescending lovie :rolleyes: :LOL: but i have a couple good lads there doing other work so i am not scared of him . Thanks again all that replied . I have 9 doors n a kitchen i was hoping he would do but i guess i walking into more trouble if i go there with him ..

if he accepts the payment wi no problem and your happy with the work use him again but make it clear that any extras have to be agreed with you prior to anything and if it sounds stupid it probably is :D

If he is very good at the work why are you telling him how to do it, expanding fixing foam is fine for fixing leaving no visible marks unlike hiding screw fixing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back