Extreme solution to congestion.

i read a few years ago that over the last 50 years (i think) the road network has increased by 30% where as amount of traffic has increased by something like 700%! i think a lot of the frieght should go back onto the railways, maybe a drive on - drive off system like the euro tunnel trains? it seems every hold up on motorways and A roads are lorries trying in vain to overtake each other, or they have crashed or broken down.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
Regarding ways to hit wealthy people harder, the reduction in personal tax allowance could easily be made to be a percentage of income, not a fixed amount of pounds, thus creating a means-related component to the tax.

By George man, i think you have it ;)

Now that would work for those who are employed etc. But what about people who are non tax payers.

Unfortunately this country has had it's head buried in the sand for far too long to actually do anything about this now, so instead of actually doing anything about it, the government just points to the scapegoat that'll lose them the least votes.

There's no point taxing people more - they'll keep paying. Did anyone stop driving when fuel was up to - and over - a pound a litre? Did they have an option? Is there anywhere left that has enough of a public transport network to actually make it a viable option? (the one that really makes me laugh is "use taxis!", and that's different to me driving my own car how?)

The only option left - and this one solves the problems with schools, NHS etc as well - is to stop the politicians putting tax money into their own pockets. These people have weekly 'expenses' that could clothe and feed most of the members here for a year. It's about time this supposedly democratic country actually got a say in what goes on. I want my tax money to go to the country - not to sending MP's on holiday and setting them up with a nice little pension.

But that's the thing - we think we live in a democracy - but in reality it's closer to autocracy - the British (me included I'm not having a go at anyone) are too weak to see that and do anything about. As a country we have no balls and THAT is the problem.

OK rant over!

derv1980 said:
i read a few years ago that over the last 50 years (i think) the road network has increased by 30% where as amount of traffic has increased by something like 700%! i think a lot of the frieght should go back onto the railways, maybe a drive on - drive off system like the euro tunnel trains? it seems every hold up on motorways and A roads are lorries trying in vain to overtake each other, or they have crashed or broken down.

as a truck driver by trade i agree with the idea of more freight going by rail BUT and it is a big but it still has to get to the railway and then to the end user so twice as many journeys. and just how flexible would the system have to be to accomodate the usual truck use scenario of multidrop? also the amount of time taken to load and unload the trains as far as a truck driver is concerned would mean that they would probably be halfway or more to the destination anyway.
finally how many people know that trucks are limited to 56mph top speed even on a motorway despite the highway code stating that they can do 60mph!!!??

Sponsored Links
The Highway Code said:
Jack Schitt
Sureitsoff? said:
how many people know that trucks are limited to 56mph top speed even on a motorway despite the highway code stating that they can do 60mph?
Apparently very few truck drivers both know and heed that law. :rolleyes:

Softus said:
The Highway Code said:
Jack Schitt
Sureitsoff? said:
how many people know that trucks are limited to 56mph top speed even on a motorway despite the highway code stating that they can do 60mph?
Apparently very few truck drivers both know and heed that law. :rolleyes:

go on then explain how ,if trucks are LIMITED by law and by means of a system fitted to the engine management system and the tachograph, they can do more than 56mph???

Sureitsoff? said:
go on then explain how ,if trucks are LIMITED by law and by means of a system fitted to the engine management system and the tachograph, they can do more than 56mph???
The law doesn't prevent a truck breaking the limit, it just makes the act an offence.

And if you believe that every truck is physically prevented from exceeding 56mph, then it's for you to explain how some of them do it, not me.

As for tachographs, don't make me laugh.

hang on are you lot stupid or sumert, why on earth are you debating whether to reduce traffic when all it leads to its more proffit for privatised transport companies, if it was still gov owned i could agree, but its not, all it is, is a way of boosting proffit for failing/failed services. same happened with the trains and look at how prices rocketed.

any person supporting traffic reduction in my opinion is a brain dead halfwit who deserves nothing better than words like feck off yer numb nuts

doyle said:
hang on are you lot stupid or sumert, why on earth are you debating whether to reduce traffic when all it leads to its more proffit for privatised transport companies, if it was still gov owned i could agree, but its not, all it is, is a way of boosting proffit for failing/failed services. same happened with the trains and look at how prices rocketed.

any person supporting traffic reduction in my opinion is a brain dead halfwit who deserves nothing better than words like f**k off yer numb nuts

well ? that's how i see it why no retaliation ? not like you lot :D

What would be the point? doyle has illustrated 'his' own stupidity with supreme eloquence.

Sponsored Links
Back