Extreme solution to congestion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think we all agree that congestion in the UK is becoming a serious problem.

Some, like myself think the problem is made worse by the politicians with unnecessary speed bumps, large obstacles in the road, narrowing of lanes and other congestion causing "good idea's".

However, i have an extreme solution which i would like to run by you all. Please feel free to comment.

My solution is two fold, as of 1st January 2008.

1st, a total ban of all new road going vehicles for at least 10 years.

2nd, no new driver licence's issued for at least 10 years.

Extreme yes.

Workable probably.

Would it cure the problem....?

Sponsored Links
No,
You obviously live where there is some sort of public transport system in place :(

No trains, buses yes in our area.

However, the point i am trying to make is no new cars or new drivers for a period of time.

Why? It is a fact of life up here, I need a car to commute as there is no other option. That means that someone who is 17 would be in theory, unable to work for 10 years owing to not being able to commute. Why no new cars? Lay off all the Honda employees as well?

Sponsored Links
You would also have the prospect of doctors and other members of emergency services being unable to travel to emergencies. Surely a better solution would be to enable traffic to flow freely on better roads, this would also cut pollution as vehicles would be travelling at the optimum speed for efficient combustion.

All very true spark123.

As i understand it the driving licence limit is in force in Hong Kong and people manage to work without a licence, obviously the area is much smaller there.

However, another alternative is for all drivers to pay by the mile, with an infrastructure so massive the price per mile will go up all the time just to pay for the wages and index linked pensions of those who run it.

How much from our wages before a real alternative, however painful is needed ?

Aqua said:
...as of 1st January 2008.
Why? Is the congestion due to get suddenly worse on that date?

1st, a total ban of all new road going vehicles for at least 10 years.
Why? Are new vehicles the main problem? I thought it was just too many people driving too many miles, and not enough freight using the railways and canals, and everyone being in a rush, and manufacturing-based industries being in decline, and service industries being in growth, and expendable income increasing leading to more distribution, and more products becoming obsolete sooner, and more products becoming disposable and requiring replacement, and more imports, and people becoming lazier, and eating more, and eating out more, and....

2nd, no new driver licence's issued for at least 10 years.
Why? Are new drivers the main problem? I thought it was....

Extreme yes.
Er, and ludicrously unfair on young people.

Workable probably.
Oh yeah? I've seen steel reinforced concrete that's more workable than those suggestions.

Aqua said:
Are all learner drivers young ?
You're dangerously close to exceeding your daily stupid question allowance.

Softus said:
Aqua said:
Are all learner drivers young ?
You're dangerously close to exceeding your daily stupid question allowance.

Quite right Softus, a moment of madness i'm afraid.

However think about this, the congestion problem will get worse (as i found out today, 2 hours held up on a Sunday).

This off the scale idea by me has got us "talking" with some good comments and some flippant comments.

What will you have to say Softus when our political masters put their ideas into force and start emptying your pocket and mine ????

Aqua said:
Quite right Softus, a moment of madness i'm afraid.
Fair play Aqua - I had one on Wednesday and have a badly scalded thumb as my badge of stupidity.

However think about this, the congestion problem will get worse (as i found out today, 2 hours held up on a Sunday).

This off the scale idea by me has got us "talking" with some good comments and some flippant comments.
Quite so, and it was therefore a good idea for a topic - all due credit to you.

What will you have to say Softus when our political masters put their ideas into force and start emptying your pocket and mine ????
Oh dear Lord that doesn't bear thinking about.

In an attempt to be more positive about this topic, my suggestions, off the top of my thinly covered head, is to inflict a sliding scale of financial pain upon drivers.

For example, rather than lump duty on petrol and erect tolls on trunk roads, why not remove chunks of personal tax allowance for those who commute further than others? And have a higher rate of VAT for the retail goods that travel further? And manufacture cars that play recordings of Jade Goody pontificating when one exceeds a given daily mileage threshold?

The problem, as I see it, is that today's congestion has been a long time building up, and tomorrow's solution needs to have started a long time ago.

Softus i agree with the sliding rule of financial pain idea, however.

It would have to take into account the people who live in a rural location (as posted above).

Also, the government's tax 4x4's more idea, if a new Range Rover costs £60 grand whats a few quid on the tax disk matter.

Therefore people with money will laugh at a policy that charges more by more use.

We now come to the basis of my "off the scale idea", to me the only solution is to get more vehicles off the road...somehow.

While in the shower i had a "eureka" moment :LOL:

What about a limit of 2 vehicle's registered to an address and/or an individual keeper.

After which there would be a terrible tax burden on a 3rd vehicle.

I can see loopholes, however it would hit people with multiple cars.

Aqua said:
While in the shower i had a "eureka" moment
Blimey! Can we expect to see the video on YouTube? ;)

What about a limit of 2 vehicle's registered to an address and/or an individual keeper.

After which there would be a terrible tax burden on a 3rd vehicle.
Hm. The right direction, I feel, but still flawed, because there is a trend towards smaller households, i.e. more people living alone, which I daresay is a significant factor in the congestion equation.

And the problem with taxing individuals who register multiple vehicles is that it won't reduce congestion - each person can only drive/ride one vehicle at a time, whereas congestion is caused by vehicles that are on the roads, not those left parked at home.

IMHO the financial burden has to be on vehicle usage, not ownership.

Regarding ways to hit wealthy people harder, the reduction in personal tax allowance could easily be made to be a percentage of income, not a fixed amount of pounds, thus creating a means-related component to the tax.

Sponsored Links
Back