F&S MCB

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, just wondering if anyone can offer advice about a problem I'm having with my caravans electrics. The MCB seems to be fooked - its a F&S 10A MCB, twin pole. When I've tested it there is no current at all coming out of it when its switched on. Its been working fine then all of a sudden just 'went'.

I've looked at some caravaning sites and the general opinion is that F&S breakers are crap! Could they just go like that or would there always be an underlying cause. Worst thing is I didn't even want to buy a bl*-dy caravan, but you know what these women are like!

PS I'm not a sparky (if you couldn't tell!) but need to fix it myself as I'm spent out buying the damn thing!!

Sponsored Links
MCBs do fail, and as with everything, some makes are better than others.

Generally easy to replace, provided you can find a replacement.
If it's a standard size, other makes may fit.

Wingcoax - supply comes from an external source which also has an RCD/MCB. This does not trip - In my caravan there is an RCD and 2 MCB's one MCB shows 240v when i tested it, the other one shows 0v. Both MCB's where switched up.

After I 'fiddled' with the MCB it showed 260v (I don't know if this is normal, as I said I'm no sparky!) and the appliances worked. This lasted for about 15mins, the MCB or RCD did not trip but the appliances stopped working and the MCB showed 0v again

Sponsored Links
Sounds more like a loose connection or the mcb not fitted correctly.
mcb's rarely fail unless some sort of fault or heavy overloading has occured beforehand.

you mention appliances, what sort are running through this 10 amp mcb.

I've spent the last two days trying to get hold of replacement MCB's for the soddin' thing. They are F&S twin pole Type C MCB's one 15A and one 6A. As I may have mentioned I've looked into these a bit and the general consensus seems to be they are crap!

My next question is would it be possible to fit a new consumer unit using Type B single pole MCB's (Just thinking of the Garage consumer units)

I think in the long run this would be a damn site easier, as long as its safe.

can't see anything in the regs about it having to be DP breakers, but there may be something in the lesurecraft regs ( which I don't have.. )..

so it is... wonder why I missed that??? I thought it was in there somewhere, that's why I looked for it..

anyway..

in that case, no you can't change it for a new CU with single pole MCB's..

gettig doubles isn't that hard anyway..

take out the old one and get us some pictures of it and the CU ( assuming that it's not on pitch somewhere and plugged in? if it is unplug it before messing with it..)

Just looked up '721.43.1'. And is does mention DP's are required. Something to do with polarity reversal

Seeing as this is the case, if I replaced my crap F&S DP MCB's with a decent brand, which i can get hold of, the buzz bar will not connect. Would it be safe and sane to use wire instead of the buzz bar?

why? it's very easy to get 2 pole busbar...
try Merlin Gerin.. ( or schneider electric as it goes by now.. )

If I relace the MCB's and keep the original RCD the original busbar will not fit.

Do you mean get 2 new MCB's and a new proprietery busbar, to make it work.

Sorry if I'm being thick!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back