F16 fighter jets

Sponsored Links
Whoop de doop. Give them nukes as well. These despots all over the world need to be sorted once and for all. It will mean the end of civilisation but present civilisation is rubbish anyway. Time to start over I think.

Russsia vastly outnumbers ukrane in weapons and men. This will help sustain the war/off3nsive but it wont change what is going to be a long long war. Nutters like prygovin make pootin seem rational to the west, and demonstrate the uncertainty of what an internal coup could bring, this is not 1989. Zelenski is in no mood for compromise but the offer of nato membership will be more and more tempting as each year goes by. Its down to the will of the ukranianns and that seems strong atm. But defeat pootin? Sadly never.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Yeah it takes time to train Pilots and ground crew. But this opens up a nice range of additional long range munitions for Ukraine that the West has a significant stockpile of.

Afaik Ukranians have been receiving training on F16 s for a while now ???

Why do they need them? They were winning every day since the beginning.

What makes you think it will end before that? The russians want nato roll back from eastern europe. The war doesn't stop until that happens. Biden would rather die than give putin that. Given his age, it's actually possible.

Afaik Ukranians have been receiving training on F16 s for a while now ???
Most sources imply otherwise.

There's a lot of red tape on weapons sales and training and until the US approved the export then most countries have been very hesitant to provide training.

Yeah it takes time to train Pilots and ground crew. But this opens up a nice range of additional long range munitions for Ukraine that the West has a significant stockpile of.
yeah perhaps they can use them to drop all those stock piled cluster bombs

yeah perhaps they can use them to drop all those stock piled cluster bombs
They are very useful aren't they.

The latest rumour is that the HIMARs compatible cluster rockets might be donated. They were known as a Grid Square removal system. Which is obviously very useful for trying to breach the heavily mined defenses that Ukraine is trying to break through.

Why do they need them? They were winning every day since the beginning.

What makes you think it will end before that? The russians want nato roll back from eastern europe. The war doesn't stop until that happens. Biden would rather die than give putin that. Given his age, it's actually possible.
To put it in perspective, when the invasion started, and for many months, Ukraine was never assumed to be "winning". Most experts and most people expected the war to be over in weeks.

What transpired shocked most people, particularly some respected experts. The Russian advance faltered in quite an extreme fashion, in the face of what was believed to be a much smaller and inferior enemy.
The following weeks and months saw Russia's most prestigious units and equipment decimated (this was the real point where any rapid victory for Russia became impossible due to the timeframe of replacing these units).

Ukraine conducted several highly effective and successful counterattacks that forced the Russians to retreat wholly, or broke Russian forces to the point of complete rout (this was the point people started to believe Ukraine could simply sweep through Russian forces at will).

Russia and both Ukraine become committed to the town of Bakhmut for various reasons. It appeared that Russia believed it would be a straightforward PR victory, but the cost began to increase dramatically. Ukraine was not initially interested, for months, until it was obvious Russia was willing to throw troops in. (It is at this stage where Ukranian casualties begin to rise).

The winter months allowed Russia to build large defensive lines, and Ukraine waiting to receive equipment in order to build many new brigades gave them even longer (this guaranteed that the Ukranian offensive would never be quick in front of the heavily mined 1st defensive position).

It's important to view the war in a much larger scale and over a longer time period. Ramifications will be long lasting (decades). Ukraine will likely benefit heavily from Western integration and investment. Russia may find new markets to rebuild it's economy, and might find new willing partners not attached to the US in the west, and China in the east. However, nothing is certain and we will probably be dealing with a situation we're not expecting. This will apply to Russia, Ukraine and the rest of the world.

As for NATO pulling back from Eastern Europe, this will not happen in any of our lifetimes. A new country (Finland) will create another NATO/Russia border. Whilst Ukraine is still a question mark in NATO, expect the Baltic States, Poland and probably some Western European powers to offer individual security guarantees as soon as the opportunity arises.

Putin will be long gone before NATO recedes.

Personally, I believe the full-scale invasion of Ukraine was a collosal blunder. In week 2-3 when it became apparent Russia lacked the organisation/doctrine to achieve a rapid victory, they should have withdrew back to the position they are currently holding, saving men and material, in order to use their position as a bargaining chip for whatever it was they wanted. I believe they didn't do this because they wanted Ukraine, nothing else.

This is in contrast to the capture of Crimea, which was an absolute masterclass in the (apparent) rapid capture of territory. The military forces involved where tiny compared to something like South Ossetia. This was what people were terrified of, Russia's version of hybrid warfare. It was quick, precise and virtually no fighting. I have even used it as an example in presentations because the relative force numbers are staggering. (Watch Vice: Russian Roulette. You can watch almost hour by hour of how obscenely difficult it was to counter. You can also see the difference between Ukranian military in 2014 vs 2022).

Long war? It's possible. We tend to focus too much on the battlefield. I believe this war will end in whatever state it is at, when things start to happen in Moscow and other capitals.

On the battlefield today Russia has held strongly over a very long line against a huge number of Ukrainian forces. They now have to work out what and how they are going to deal with the current Ukranian advanced. Things will begin to move quicker as this lines are penetrated, but Russia will have a plan on where to move and how to react to these breaches. It is not something they can stop, but they will have a plan.

To put it in perspective, when the invasion started, and for many months, Ukraine was never assumed to be "winning".
I never assumed anything, I only watched youtube. Ukraine had wins coming out of its ears.

Putin will be long gone before NATO recedes.
Putin isn't a person. Putin is a team.

Nato recedes or war doesn't stop. Nato can handle it, but my wallet can't, and I am in a better position than many.

NATO isn't going to boot Finland out nor Sweden when they join too.

The russians only need receding of nato infrastructure, and troops (not completely sure about the latter). Being members in name is fine.

The russians only need receding of nato infrastructure, and troops (not completely sure about the latter). Being members in name is fine.
Unfortunately for Russia. It has shown its hand far to early. It NATO has two new members since the war started, it shares a border with one of them.
It also has more NATO equipment in Ukraine than it's ever had.
Most of Europe is rearming and restocking, Poland massively so (it will be the biggest power in Europe by the end of the decade).

Worst of all for Russia, its hand turned out to be much worse than anyone expected.

A cynic might say the West will keep on supporting Ukraine until it has won, regardless of how many Ukranians sacrifice themselves for their country. And since Ukraine is unlikely to yield, and NATO have no reason to yield, it is highly unlikely Putin will be able to strong arm his out of this.

I don't believe Putin ever suspected a surprise NATO attack through Ukraine (it simply wasn't ready, and unlikely to be so ever prior to the invasion). This was about land. So I imagine Putin will be open to economic agreements to pull out of Ukraine once he can say he achieved something to the Russian public and his backers.

Sponsored Links
Back