F220 Contract - Advice/help needed!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm currently pursuing some window work on my house with tradesman (Construction Industry Scheme - Subcontractor Registration - Sole Trader). The cost looks to be around £8-9k.

The gentleman in question has a slightly dubious business past and so I am treading carefully. I realise that walking away is the easiest option when there are doubts but for other reasons I'm pursuing this for now.

He's initally asked for a deposit up front for the materials (new sash windows). This was roughly £4k which I believe to be a fair price for 10 new sashes with double glazed units. I responded that I was not happy with this deposit and after negotiation he's agreed that we only pay £1k up front and the rest upon completion of the job. He's keen to use an F220 domestic contract which would appear the right thing to do.

My questions are;

1) How solid is this F220 and should things go wrong, how easy would it be to seek resolution via the contract? I suppose I'm saying, is the contract worth the paper it's printed on?

2) Is a £1k deposit reasonable or should I insist on £0 and maintain that if I don't pay then he can use the F220 to take me to court (rather than the other way round)?

3) Is there anything I should specifically include on that contract to cover myself even more?

I'd really appreciate a swift response as time isn't on my side.

All help/advice, hugely appreciated.

Thanks

JD

Sponsored Links
No takers?

I should clarify that by 'dubious past' what I really mean is that they are in dispute with a client and from my perspective it's impossible to know who's in the wrong. So I'm trying not to pre-judge at this stage.

Is he fensa registered or is it going through building control??

If he is fensa registered and demands a deposit this means he pays a premium to the insurance provider to do so!! Check this is case. In return you get a deposit guarantee !! If he's fensa registered but doesn't pay that premium he isn't entitled to ask for a deposit.

http://www.fensa.co.uk/benefits-to-installers.aspx

Thanks for the reply pearl1. I shall find out about FENSA registration.

Interestingly I received correspondence from them today saying that they understand our concerns about an upfront deposit and have thought of an alternative proposal. They suggest that if we prefer, they will produce a shopping list of materials they require and we can pay for these materials directly to their suppliers and have the goods delivered to ourselves.

This seems on the face of it a good compromise. The guarantees they are offering would still be in place I understand.

Would this be a good way forward?

Sponsored Links
I agree this is a good compromise! I often have my customers pay for the materials when I'm on day rate. Just makes things easier.
If you're having PVC verticals I estimate materials for each slider would be
No more than £50 per window. If your having timber (which I can't see as the price is too low) then materials will be a lot more. Generally once the slider's in you only need your 50mm window board and architraves to go round but that obviously depends on the fiter and the ways he like to finish off.
Good luck hope you get a good job

Great stuff, thanks Pearl1.

To be specific, the actual cost is £4.5k for 9 new double glazed wooden sashes. We're keeping the existing box frames so it's only sash replacements. The sashes will be white cedar which seems to be a good choice (so a few people in the know have told me).

We've had several quotes and this outfit were just about the cheapest. Not that this was our only reason for going with them but obviously it's having an affect on our decision.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back