Failed first building control inspection - any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Purchased a property with a detached double garage built in the 1980s.

I wanted to build a small room onto this garage so I got PP and then paid my money for buildings notice. I had the foundations dug for the extension thinking this might be the easy part!

However, after a visit by the buildings inspector, he has failed it because of "made ground" and that the existing garage appears to be built on a raft. I have been asked to call again after further excavation.

Now this was a visit conducted by the buildings inspector without anyone being there to meet him. I will ring him to see exactly what he means but I want to know what my options are and if anyone else has come up against this? If the existing structure is on a raft then is that it, I won't be allowed to build? Can it be strengthened or something else done to make it viable other than knocking the garage down and starting the whole thing again?

Thanks for any advice.

Dan

Sponsored Links
Your garage was built on 'made up ground' which means the existing ground level (before anything was ever built there) was lower than now and the ground was 'made up' by just adding earth. Hence using traditional foundations were presumably deemed inappropriate as the bearing required was not adequate. Hence he is saying a more engineered solution needs to be undertaken for your extension than conventional footings. I'd think he will allow a raft foundation for your extension but a raft is not just a thick slab it is an engineered solution that is site specific. So you may be guided by your BCO to either do some crazy mass of concrete approach by your BCO or get it designed by a structural engineer. Anyway speak with him and you lesson learnt you'll be there for his visit next time..

Thanks Freddy, so long as there is a solution rather than it can't be done. I did ask if they needed me there for the visit and they said no but I'll make sure the builder is there next time!

Sponsored Links
Just a follow up. He wanted a bit more digging, quite a bit more concrete and some steel mesh but he's happy now! I'm now onto the next stage of debating the u values of the external wood door I wanted and how he is OK with said door if I say it's for occasional use...but I already started another thread about that!

Thanks again, Dan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back