Failed Nest Install - Advice Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, the engineer from ****** cam today to install my Nest (they were the subcontractor Nest told me to contact). The engineer had only passable English which meant I had trouble answering his questions and he had trouble explaining anything to me. Anyway, it got worse when he struggled to find how to take the front off the boiler (it's a two year old British Gas 330+ so nothing special). He then asked for the manuals for the boiler and the timeswitch and spend nearly an hour studying them apparently because he could work out how the boiler was wired up.

Eventually he seem to get somewhere and we had the Nest and the Heat Link box installed at which time he was going to leave. Not having seen the boiler fire up yet I tested it and nothing, the boiler didn't fire. He stayed and worked on it until 8pm (he must have arrived about 2:30) and when he left the boiler was firing up when requested by the Nest but nothing was coming through the radiators. I suggest it was something to do with the valve in the airing cupboard not being properly controlled by the boiler but that didn't seem to translate. The hot water seems OK. The programmer is a Drayton Lifestyle LP522.

He didn't fill me with confidence that someone will come back tomorrow as he was muttering something about the Nest not being programmed properly which sounded bullshit to me as the Nest Link Unit was making a click sound when the Nest was requesting heat it just seemed the boiler wasn't wired correctly.

So any ideas where the issue is that I might be able to point the next engineer to?

Thanks, Simon

Sponsored Links
nest have largely bypassed the independent installer,, the better of which have a high level if skill and knowledge, so the installation service is likely to be patchy at best. I can just imagine the conversations between the heat team and nest

It sounds like whole install needs a rewire... to give some semblance of order to the controls...but who knows..

I think a good out come of this will be that the public will see that these bigger companies are not equipped to train and develop staff suitably for this type of work, nor is the industry really equipped to deal with the adoption of new (or redesigned technology)... manufacturers do train,and charge, but do nothing to give a competitive advantage over and above people who have not, trained..and the public makes no such demand either...so why bother?

Sounds like he has by-passed the motorised valve and wired switch live from the heat link straight to the boiler.
Wiring heating controls isn't rocket science but you do need to know what you are doing especially when it comes to the spaghetti junctions that are british wiring centers, not for the faint hearted !

Sponsored Links
yes interesting times...! The public are in for a testing time

but may be the manufacturers will realise that there is demand for decent heating technology in peoples homes..and raise their game...

yes interesting times...! The public are in for a testing time

but may be the manufacturers will realise that there is demand for decent heating technology in peoples homes..and raise their game...

no mate, as you know just want to sell boxes/units and do not want any additional infrastructure and the hassle that comes with it.

Design➡️build in China by third party➡️market product➡️collect loads of moola➡️farm out installation responsibilties to third party➡️Design another product...

I posted screenshots from the Nest manual in here if that's any use to you? It might help someone assist you with wiring config if they've not seen one before.

From what I gather any existing programmers etc need to be configured to permanently on/removed as the Nest replaces those devices, I assume he managed that?

//www.diynot.com/forums/plumbing/nest-install-2-wire-replacing-existing-stat.398926/[/QUOTE]

Thanks, they're sending another engineer at lunchtime so will see how that goes otherwise will get someone else in and *****.

Yes, the programmer is on permanently for heating.

Even I suspected it was something to do with the valve can't believe this guy didn't understand.

What is the 1st 3 parts of your postcode?

We do all the nest installs for Homeserve alliance in area south west and I will forward your job to someone who can deal with the firm sending incompetent tools to do a rather straight forward job.

Thanks

Tim

Why would he even need to go into the boiler? The wiring connector on them just pulls out of the bottom (it's a rebadged Flexicom 30kw for anyone who doesn't know). All of the wiring for an external control would be at your wiring centre regardless. The boiler already has everything it needs (Live, Neutral, Earth, Switched Live and Pump Live out). Sounds like he didn't have a clue to me!

As Chris has said there will be trouble ahead , no 2 ways about it :) :)

R&D on the general public :) where is it made ?? China ?? for less than a fiver ??

:)

Update... Two engineers worked on it today for 9 hours including getting it back to how it was, outcome is no heating for second night. They have one more chance then I'll be insisting they get Br G*s in to put everything back as it was.

They're at a loss to know what the first guy did and are 5 3A fuses down on the day. Problem now is that the the original stat (a programmable Siemens type) is requesting heat to the controller under the boiler but the controller's not getting the signal.

Better half is losing patience.

Simon

What is the 1st 3 parts of your postcode?

We do all the nest installs for Homeserve alliance in area south west and I will forward your job to someone who can deal with the firm sending incompetent tools to do a rather straight forward job.

Thanks

Tim

Tim, it's BH31 but Nest decided who they would use as there was a free installation offer but given these problems I can probably argue someone else needs to be used.

Simon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back