Failing external soldier lintel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Just had a door replaced and the brick soldier course has slipped. Mortar between the bricks has gone in the middle .

The internal skin (solid 9” wall) is fine as there’s an old timber beam.

What are my options to rectify? I’d like to keep the soldier if possible. Also what sort of costs am I looking at.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3875.jpeg
    IMG_3875.jpeg
    455.4 KB · Views: 91
Sponsored Links
If the previous door was timber there possibly was no lintel. The window/door installer should have identified this prior to doing the install and this is part of Building Regulations & FENSA requirements.

An steel angle lintel and patch work may be looking in the order of £1000 all said and done.

Your options are to fit a proper steel lintel - IG L10. Not a rusty bit of angle iron!

Looks like the wall above has already dropped previously.

If the previous door was timber there possibly was no lintel. The window/door installer should have identified this prior to doing the install and this is part of Building Regulations & FENSA requirements.

A steel angle lintel and patch work may be looking in the order of £1000 all said and done.
Much appreciated. I’ll get some quotes. At least I know what I’m looking for. Window fitter suggested concrete lintel which wasn’t going to happen as it would look terrible

Sponsored Links
Your options are to fit a proper steel lintel - IG L10. Not a rusty bit of angle iron!

Looks like the wall above has already dropped previously.
Yes quite possibly when the old window was installed. Wouldn’t be keen on non galvanised steel as it would just rust.

I’ll get some quotes to install a proper lintel. Thanks woody

Concrete lintel and render over it all nice and new as all the render needs addressing in the local area anyway? What if the bricks get damaged when removing and the new soldier course will have to be sourced from newer bricks may not get a good match ?

Concrete lintel and render over it all nice and new as all the render needs addressing in the local area anyway? What if the bricks get damaged when removing and the new soldier course will have to be sourced from newer bricks may not get a good match ?
Yes the render will need to be sorted as well. The bricks should just pop out, but luckily I have 5-10 matching spares if needed for the header.

I’d prefer to keep the look as it will match other window details

If there is no lintel, how come they didn't fall out when they removed the old frame?

If there is no lintel, how come they didn't fall out when they removed the old frame?
It was propped up. Definitely moved as can see gap in the top of tile detail and the brick now touches the new frame in the middle where there was a gap

Yeah I didn't mean to suggest angle iron. Catnic calls them angles and it's the same shape.
Nothing wrong with angle iron in the required situations, as long as you coat it. Woody sometimes forgets he uses raw steel for carrying outer course brickwork over UB lintels. :rolleyes:

Architects spec it often (UB's with plates welded and angle iron)....

If you don't believe me, ask Woody what he does when a brick carrying (outer leaf) plate needs welding under a UBeam on site and what then happens to the parts that are exposed? PS, exactly the same steel as angle.:rolleyes:

Use the Catnic type angle where suitable though, but watch out for the composite compliance regards solid bedding etc.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back