Failing pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last night when my CH timer kicked in the pipes made some very loud clunks, then nothing happened. I turned the CH off, checked the gloworm closed system boiler (not combination) and it had cut out. I pushed in the safety switch back in and also checked the (Myson SD53) pump wasn't locked (it didn't seem to be), and tried turning the pump up (it has 3 settings). Turning the CH back on the boiler fired up correctly and I could hear the water pass through the pump, however even on it's top setting - 3, the water didn't seem to be flowing as fast as usual and virtually nothing was happening at settings 1 and 2. The pipe leading out of the top of the copper coil - hot water storage tank was not particularly hot and the rads didn't heat up at all for about 40mins, perhaps prompted by me turning up the thermostat on the copper storage tank to 60deg, perhaps not. Eventually the rads heated up and remained hot for the rest of the evening. However is this a sign that something is about to go seriously wrong? If so, what?! Thank you for reading this!

Sponsored Links
We can't give good advice knowing so little about your system. There are several things which cause flow problems, and are not the pump. Go to the first topic on the forum, and answer the questions there and that'll help us help you.

It's a Glow worm space saver KFB fanned flue, sealed gas boiler. Well it seems the answer to my question was 'yes' cos I noticed a funny smell and it seems the electrics have gone on the whole system which has now cut out. The putrid smell seems to emanating from the box which feeds leads to the copper thermostat on the copper coil storage tank, the Myson pump and a silver box on the pipework. Not good. ANy idea if there's a link to the performance of the pump?

Also I've read the top message and others in the forum that relate and it might be worth saying that this is a new problem, that the system was put in when the house was built 12 years ago and the rads were cold all over the house at first but eventually all heated. I hope this helps diagnose the problem. THanks!

Sponsored Links
Well yep it was the pump which had burnt out - now replaced! Seems my suspicions were correct!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back