Failing retaining wall - total or part-rebuild?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A garden retaining wall on our boundary grew a worrying bulge yesterday following the strong winds in recent days. I've removed the fence panels above the wall as we believe they were acting as a 'sail', contributing to the fail.
The bulge appears to be affecting just the top 10 courses or so, and I wonder if I should just remove that top part and rebuild it, or would it be wiser to take it down lower (all the way?) and start again?
The wall runs for 15m between our and our neighbour's houses, though only one end (away from the houses) is affected - so far. It was built 25 years ago by the house builder with a height difference of 5 feet between ground levels, and sits approx 5 feet from each house. There's no sign of drainage (no weep holes) so wonder if that needs to be addressed to avoid future/bigger failures.
Should we try to re-use the bricks or use new ones? Should I play safe get a structural engineer in?
Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Would help to have a shot longer away.

If there is no immediate danger then maybe wait and see?

If not it looksl iek the bottom half could possibly stay.

You may be able to reuse the bricks - it depends on how much labour time will be needed to clean the old bricks (if they have mortar stuck inside them) and if they break when you take them off.

Having had a very small wall buitl in comaprison to what you have I suspect a rebuild won't be cheap.

If you wnat a rebuild I wouldn't bother with a SE - just get a brickie in - who will possibly want to check what foundations there are and make them deeper. I presume it is 2 bricks thick?

ne other soluation may be to somehow push the bricks back level and shore them up with something to hold them back?

(I am not an expert mind).

I've no idea if there is a danger of the bulge extending and collapsing imminently or if it would sit like this for years (it went from upright to this in a day).
Its 2 bricks thick at the top, but given the height and location, imagine it would widen lower down.

I've added a photo from further away. The bulge is to the right end, and you can see where I've removed the fence panels above

Sponsored Links
Unless there is damage to the left side a repair may be the best thing but it could get messy if they have to start taking the frame off from above

Are the walls tied together if any way? You might be able to see down the broken part.

It looks to me that there is mud on the other wise of the broek part so perhaps that is pushing into the wall causing it to break.

In your shoes I would call out a building/bricklaying person and ask them to check it over and provide quotes for vaious options.

You should dig test holes at the very LH of pic 5, and just where your garden begins to rise below the bulge in pic 5. Remove just enough, dont open up large holes.

When the foundation is exposed bring in a structural engineer. Prior to the SE visiting, discuss this matter with your neighbour, and think who will pay for any work?

This might be party wall territory so discuss this when calling a SE, and have your deed plans available.

Given that the movement was sudden then its serious and requires immediate action. Up or down, no kid's should be allowed near that wall.

Given the rising ground, the height of the wall and the proximity of both houses then the retaining wall was incorrectly built in the first place eg. no buttresses. SE's sometimes recommend a formed up steel and concrete retaining wall with a brick facade - but wait and see.

Enquire with neighbours if anything similar has happened on the street?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back