Stone Retaining Wall Rebuild or Other

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 163408 View attachment 163409 this old bulging retaining wall cracked and displaced which now needs repairing. There weren’t any aggravating issues that caused it just some idiot washing his bikes who managed to get water behind, a few cold nights and boom. This section of wall didn’t have any drain holes.
My question is. Can I just pull it down and rebuild it with the existing material?
The wall has been there for over 140 Years so I’m not fussed about the overall structure, IE foundations.

Sponsored Links
Of course you can rebuild it as per original. Doesn't mean it wont fall down again or suffer a more catastrophic failure, should the right conditions arise. Looks to me like it is on the verge of collapse now.

But if you are not fussed - crack on.

Your house and conservatory look quite close the that retaining wall........

I suppose the wall probably needs rebuilding in concrete block with the required reinforcing and drainage, then the face clad with the stone -which is a big job.

Im not sure if there any shortcuts that would give you any guarantees of preventing failure.

Sponsored Links
According to locals it bulged for decades. It's been there for over a 100 Years. Some decent drainage and a rebuild should be fine. I hope. Anchors and seems overkill and expensive.

Does home insurance cover this sort of thing? They have been over and are now sending a structural engineer around as the first rep didn't know what had caused it. I give it a no chance they cover this sort of claim after reading their T&c's. I thought there nothing to lose anyway making a claim.

You seem money driven. Put plenty of 'hope' in the mortar mix.(y)

What would you do? and why is a just a rebuild not practicle? If there aren’t any aggravating issues behind it and the reason for the damage is just the fact I got so much water behind it from washing bikes and cars.
The wall has been in situ for over 100 Years and this is its first fail. The wall itself is 600mm thick and the mortar is like concrete.

Likely, yes.

Re-building a retaining wall of that height is going to cost thousands to do correctly.

Add more drainage, use what’s there. Sand, cement, lime mortar, shingle for drainage and a top up of stone with plenty of elbow grease and some sunshine. £1000’s?
Doing it myself. I’m in the trade just wrong trade. I know a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

Last edited:
What if you pull it down and the ground is loose behind it?

I don’t think washing cars has cause the wall to fail.

What if you pull it down and the ground is loose behind it?

I don’t think washing cars has cause the wall to fail.

There’s a crack to the left of the wall which follows the passage of the water I got behind the wall. I had a few regular bike rides in December and washed a few bikes During a cold spell. I think we had a frost for a week or so and the water expanded behind the wall. It was bulging for Years apparently.
I could well be wrong it just seems a coincidence with the large walls we have that that section went adjacent to where I was washing the bikes. There is good drainage holes elsewhere along the other walls but that section had only one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back