Repair or replace retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
70136539-DB92-4D39-8556-BF5644E3E3CF.jpeg DF38D4E1-92D7-4B65-87C9-D245CDAD256A.jpeg 2712F3EE-A003-4705-B9D7-4370136792D7.jpeg 7CC72FB5-363F-492C-8D35-7C4A55CA64F1.jpeg
Having not long moved our to do list is pretty long and we’re trying to prioritise.
A section of the retaining wall behind our house has quite a big crack. The garden does bank up quite a bit behind it so there is a lot of pressure.
As you can see from the photos there is drainage but unlike the rest of the wall (this section edges the steps that go up) it seems a thiner layer?

We are wondering what we should do?
  • Do we need to get expert (structural) to have a look and advise?
  • Or are should we just get this section removed and replaced?
  • If removed and replaced is it something we can get done ourselves (or at least in part?). (This is the only access point to the top section of our garden).
The affected wall is approx 11ft across height varies from around a max of 5ft.

Sponsored Links
You do need the section replaced.
But I would suggest you do a plan of the area, indicating the section that has moved, and the heights of the ground behind each part.
This is in order to give an advisor a better appraisal of the whole situation.
I suspect a structural engineer's advice is not required, as long as the builder/plan of action is deemed sufficient to prevent further problems.

You could do the work yourself, but, in that case, I would suggest an expert opinion and plan, possibly with ongoing advice during the work.

Only as some removal/ demolition progresses, and better information about existing structure, can better and more informed appraisal occur.

As a rough guide, a single skin retaining wall is only good upto about 450mm

A double wall is ok upto 1200mm

anything higher ideally needs a structural engineer

It depends what you want to spend versus how long you want it to last.....

I would say as a minimum you need a double thickness wall -in blockwork that could be done with concrete blocks laid flat
It does have a return wall on the right which is acting as a buttress so a new wall could be tied into that

it may also need a pier too

It may also need steel reinforcing -bed joint for example

s-l1600.jpg

Who owns the bank?

Either way it's an insurance claim and they should include designing a new suitable wall as part of the replacement work

Sponsored Links
It’s our garden behind it. I hadn’t thought about going through the insurance. Is it likely that it’s covered....I’ll have a look through. Anyone had experience of claiming for something similar?

Normally, you can associate the cause with one of the risks your policy covers you for ;) And convince the loss adjuster if need be, as he may try and wiggle out of any payment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back