Fair price to fit work tops ????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone give me an idea of the cost to fit some worktops.
They're of the laminate type 38mm and will require two mitres and the cutout for a standard size insert 1 piece sink/drainer.
It's a basic layout in a 'U' shape with the sink cutout in the bottom part of the U. No cutout for hob required. The lengths are approx 1x3x2 metres.
Location wise (if that affects price) is London/Kent boarder.

Sponsored Links
we just had this done... i was told on here be about £150 and thats what i paid BUT didnt include cutting out for sink and hob, he wanted more and too come back for that... 2 mitre joins and one splice join over 3 worktops,

the £150 was JUST to fit them... not levelling and fixing in the units or cutting sink holes... we had to pay him £20 extra to level and fix the units underneath as i wanted it done properly...turned out OK but they werent levelled very good

one bloke qouted us £560... told him were to go straight away...

round my way the going rate for the mitres is about 50 quid each.and the same for each cut out.
so i wouldve thought if there priceing the job then as big all has said about 250 all in.

if it was cash then i wouldve thought 150-200 for the day,
but as long as your happy thats what its all about.

Sponsored Links
Gregers, where in Sussex are you? Do you do work tops?

Thanks

J

I bet the price has gone up since last tax year :D

originally from upperton area,work in meads area,now live in hampden park area. ;)

oh and cox never did get your pm.

Rate for mason's mitre joints up here is about the same, £45 to £50 a joint. To put it into perspective that includes coloured filler, can include joiners and will include a fresh router cutter for every second joint.

The biggest bugbears when replacing tops are that the old top won't come out without damaging the tiling, the old tops are 30mm tops and I'm installing 38/40mm replacements (so the back needs to be rebated), the old units aren't level (sio they need to be sorted out before I start) and that the customer has bought-in his own worktops and they turn out to be bowed across the width (for that read ex-B&Q or Wickes or simply left in the sun for a week). Refitting old sinks can also be a bit fraught depending on the amount of time and effort required to replumb them - I've had to replace water pipework almost completely before now as it was so old and corroded that I couldn't cut it cleanly.

If the job goes well a U-shaped kitchen with reasonable access and no major problems would take me 5 to 8 hours for which I'd charge for a day PLUS about £20 to £40 materials allowance

originally from upperton area,work in meads area,now live in hampden park area. ;)

oh and cox never did get your pm.

Sorry mate, don't know how I missed your PM! Ended up with a guy just down the road in Bexhill!! I work in EDGH so not too far from you ; )

The cost for most chippies should be a day's work (whatever the going rate is in your area) plus router cutter, say £10-15 and any other materials required.

For your job, if you lived in my area, I would charge £170 minimum.

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back