Fair price?

S

snadge

my neighbour has had a builder in to qoute for a small 18 inch high wall to be put in as a means to protect garden from flood water.

we wanted to ask if this is a fair price? I think its a little steep as he is charging about nearly £300 per day for labour

here is the quote, this is in North East England.

I think the length of its 3.5m (18 inches high) and another bit thats shorter at 1.5m (18 inches high) each with pillar at either end, 4 pillars.
New quote submitted
Description of Work: 18" high 9" wide garden wall with 4 no one and a half brick piers built up to 3ft
pier caps to piers and copings to main wall.

New foundations to be dug and laid and rubble to take away
Project Length: 2/3 days
Start Date: to suite client

Materials: 650 fasing bricks
4 pier caps
11 copings
1 ton sand
1 ton ballast
7 cement
-------------------------------
Total labour cost: £554.00
Total material cost: £443.00
VAT: £0.00
Total cost: £997.00

we have 3 other quotes to get yet, so will be interesting to see whats what.

Sponsored Links
554 / 3 = 184.666667

and dispose of rubble?

554 / 3 = 184.666667

and dispose of rubble?

aye, but... if he does it in 2 (and i reckon he will) its 277

also, I dunno what rubble there is other than his own mess cos theres nothing to remove here

we have had 1 other person look at it and have one on WED and one on THU coming too look at it. this was the 1st quote we received

cheers

Sponsored Links
Get dozens of them, we've got nothing better to do than go round quoting.

£700 all in and 2 days work. Thats if the wall is a tidy face brick and not common work. Also that's not enough cement, or sand. Footings, 650 bricks, copings 7 bags is tight and so is the sand :) I don't think its a crazy price if he's digging out and getting rid of all the crap.

554 / 3 = 184.666667

and dispose of rubble?

aye, but... if he does it in 2 (and i reckon he will) its 277

also, I dunno what rubble there is other than his own mess cos theres nothing to remove here

we have had 1 other person look at it and have one on WED and one on THU coming too look at it. this was the 1st quote we received

cheers
How can you say he will do it in 2 days... what if he takes 4/5 and the brickwork is immaculate!! compared to a 2 day job which looks ok-ish. What would you prefer..... and everyone knows dont always go for cheapest quote. No doubt someone will come out and quote £300 all in..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back