Fair Price?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm in the process of getting some quotes for replacement double glazing. I've had 2 companies out so far with another coming tomorrow night. Company A hasn't sent me a quote yet, Company B quoted on the spot. Going by what I'm looking to get done below, is a quote of £7551 expensive?

1 x French Door (1700 x 2100)
1 x Living Room Window (2100 x 1200)
1 x Kitchen Window (1100 x 1000)
1 x Back Door (Split Panes, 840 x 2050)
1 x Toilet Window (300 x 1000)
1 x Front Door (940 x 2050)
2 x Bedroom Windows (Tilt/Turn, 1100 x 1700)
1 x Bedroom Window (Tilt/Turn, 1100, 1200)
1 x Bathroom Window (600 x 1000)

To fit the living room window requires the removal of a patio door, and some brickwork obviously to then fit the window.

Sponsored Links
You need to compare the quotes & ensure you age getting the same materials/finish/guarantees etc.

Your gonna get told off for this one but it’s very expensive; I’m not surprised he quoted on the spot! Have a read back through the archive posts, lots of useful info in here about how to proceed but get lots of quotes, avoid the large nationals & never sign up with a salesman in your living room! Come back if you have any specific questions

Thanks.

I had someone out on Tuesday who hasn't quoted yet. And I have someone coming out tonight so hopefully they'll be a bit cheaper. Not having bought double-glazing before so therefore having no idea how much it costs, I've budgeted around £4k. Is this do-able?

I can probably streatch to £5k if need be but would rather not.

Sponsored Links
You should be within budget for your list, but you need to look at the quality of both windows - can be much of a much ness in the same price range but it’s the installation that makes the difference. Compare like with like make sure the guys quoting know they will be in competition with others - I got 10 quotes initially. Personally I would go for a FENSA installer to avoid the hassle of notification, certification & inspection cost with BC. Just make sure the DG quotes include all the little extras they like to surprise you with after you’ve committed to contract like any scaffolding costs, window boards, vents, toughened glass where it’s required, fire escape if necessary & making good afterwards.

Why not fit a full ht window rather than brick up that patio door, it’s be cheaper & should look quiet modern!

the windows will cost in the region of £3000.

installation and making good a minimum of £1800.

figures are totally ball park. ;)

In my experience I would say that as long as you're not specifying high performance units, georgian bars, leaded etc. you should be able to get them within budget.

I'm not saying you should deffinately do this but what i have done in the past is order the windows 'supply only', fit the easy ones yourself (small ground floor) Its really not difficult! then give the company that supplied them a call and see how much they'll charge for fitting the rest.
Most fitters try to finish their jobs by lunch on a Friday and do cash jobs in the afternoon.
On 'average' (depends on area etc.) £50 per window, £60 per door (£90 if needs trimming up etc)

good luck anyway

And ask for some reference sites that you can visit. As a minimum have a look from the road. Much much better ask the householders how happy they were with the workmanship and corrective action to faults.

You will get a more representative sample if you drive round looking for other local houses yourself than if you let the supplier choose his happiest customers.

I suppose you are looking at those white plastic windows :( Avoid a plastic door. Apart from looking horrid and being easily burgled, it is incredibly expensive and not as good as a wooden one that your friendly local joiner can fit.

Thanks for all the advice. :D

My partners just called me to say that the vcompany that were out on Tuesday evening have sent their quote. £5875. I'll see what tonight's lot say.

mparter said:
Thanks for all the advice. :D

My partners just called me to say that the vcompany that were out on Tuesday evening have sent their quote. £5875. I'll see what tonight's lot say.
Keep at it; unless there is something unusual about Fife, I’m sure you can do better than that! I reckon you should be able to get all the windows, installation, making good outside & still have a little change. Philips installation prices reflect almost exctly what I was charged & all of the others have given sound advice which I totally agree with. You just have to make sure the companies your dealing with realise your not the average push over punter; always be fair in your dealings with them & the decent ones will usually respond likewise!

Well, the guy tonight was £7397. I told him I'd had a quote for just over £5k but he didn't budge. I called the company with the £5875 quote and they are prepared to go to £5600.

But you guys are adamant that it's do-able in £4k, anybody fancy doing it for me? :)

Are they charging you a thousand each for the two plastic doors?

JohnD said:
Are they charging you a thousand each for the two plastic doors?

God knows, they haven't left item prices. I should also say that beside my front door, I have an outside cupbaord which houses the lawnmower. THis is clad in PVC. The 2 most expensive companies will simply strip of the cladding and put white stuff on whilst the cheaper one will replace the door!!

Going to phone a few more tomorrow.

Thing is, we need to get the windows done before we do the kitchen and my other-halfs getting impatient to get the kitchen done :rolleyes:

Always ask for a detailed quote with a breakdown of unit costs & showing separate costs for any other work involved; if they won’t do it, walk away!

As a rough guide, you should be paying £850 - £950 for a set of French doors, £300 – £350 for an external door, £250 - £350 each for windows, depending on size & type of glass required. This includes VAT, fitting, new laminate window cills & making good on the outside only. If you haven’t already, try approaching the smaller, respected local firms rather than the big nationals who usually charge a large premium for similar products & mostly use the same, self employed fitters!

I also had a porch built under an existing pitch roof & total cost for that was £1800 including a 150mm concrete & DP membrane base, dwarf brickwork, UPVC cladding, a front door & 3 windows. There was a fair amount of other work involved & from the original 10 companies I approached, I narrowed it down to a choice of 3. Quality & prices were all broadly similar & 2 even used the same units & in the end it was down to who seemed the most honest & reliable & who I felt the most comfortable with; not very scientific but it proved to be the right choice.

Richard C said:
Always ask for a detailed quote with a breakdown of unit costs & showing separate costs for any other work involved; if they won’t do it, walk away!

As a rough guide, you should be paying £850 - £950 for a set of French doors, £300 – £350 for an external door, £250 - £350 each for windows, depending on size & type of glass required. This includes VAT, fitting, new laminate window cills & making good on the outside only. If you haven’t already, try approaching the smaller, respected local firms rather than the big nationals who usually charge a large premium for similar products & mostly use the same, self employed fitters!

I also had a porch built under an existing pitch roof & total cost for that was £1800 including a 150mm concrete & DP membrane base, dwarf brickwork, UPVC cladding, a front door & 3 windows. There was a fair amount of other work involved & from the original 10 companies I approached, I narrowed it down to a choice of 3. Quality & prices were all broadly similar & 2 even used the same units & in the end it was down to who seemed the most honest & reliable & who I felt the most comfortable with; not very scientific but it proved to be the right choice.

Can't go far wrong with gut instinct :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back