Fall arrest system - any advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently started to build my own house. The scaffolding is now up and I am wondering what safety equipment would be best. My biggest fear at the moment is falling off the scaffolding into the "hole" where the house will be. It's a very windy site.

I have been looking at fall arrest harnesses with a lanyard and scaffolding hook. Has anybody got any advice on what features to look for?

Thanks
AA

Sponsored Links
The idea of scaffolding is to provide a safe working platform where you can move freely about. A brickie certainly wouldn't be wearing a safety harness which could snag him up and be the cause of an accident.

If you think you need a harness then you shouldn't be up there in the first place.

The idea of scaffolding is to provide a safe working platform where you can move freely about. A brickie certainly wouldn't be wearing a safety harness which could snag him up and be the cause of an accident.

If you think you need a harness then you shouldn't be up there in the first place.

Correct If you need a harness the scaffolding is not build correctly.
The best bet is to ensure the guard rails are in place min 950mm and on in between.
If you wish to use a harness i would recommend a course to ensure they are fitted correctly. ( think of internals being external

You tend to find that if you (or the builders) are quick enough, you build the walls up and this stops you falling inwards!

If anything you would have netting or inflatable bags inside, and avoid harnesses as they are a solution for a different situation

Sponsored Links
Fall arrest harnesses are designed to slow you down gently as you fall, and (in an empolyment situation) need to be inspected periodically i.e. if not cared for properly they don't work.

If it worries you either don't go up or just tie yourself on to the scaffold with a short length of rope so you can't fall.

Heights worry me but I could never work in a harness or tied on - working is different to mountain climbing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back