Fan delay not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom extractor fan has developed a problem recently. It used to have a time delay after the light was switched off before it went off. Now it never goes off after the light is turned off, I can only turn it off using the isolation switch. I\\\'m not certain what would have gone wrong and what i need to replace. would it be the switch(pull cord which controls the light as well) or would it be a part on the fan itself. Can\\\'t seem to find any literature on the workings of fans anywhere. Any help appreciated thx.
Daz

Sponsored Links
its the fan's timer that needs replacing (they often go like that)

Daz..the electronic controller is knackered, there is nothing you can do to replace this as manucaturers do not sell them seperately. Your only realistic course of action is to replace the entire unit.

Go for a Vent-Axia or a Greenwood as they are the best...Vent -Axia byt far and away top of the list.

Thx guys... I'll start looking around for these. Would it be fairly easy to fit the light's switch in with the new fan's as it is at the moment? And is there any specific switch type I should be looking out for when buying the fan?

Sponsored Links
maplin do a seperate fan controller (i think it may come as a kit though)
you could wire the live and switched live on the fan otgether and conenct them to one of theese (suitablly boxed up in the loft space)

but frankly fan replacement is most likely eaiser unless your fan is an unsulal size or there is some other factor making it hard to replace

or if you don't care about the timer and just wan't the fan to go off with the light just terminate the unswitched live comeing into the fan in a termina block and connect the swtiched live cable to both the live and switched live terminals

I have installed an TIMED Extractor fan into the bathroom, I hahve connected the L and N up into the loft and into the light fitting via a terminal block, on trying this the fan didnt work.

However i then connected a Perm Live up into the loft and into the terminal block and it works on, when i turn the light switch on the fan comes on, when its off its off, now here is the problem, it's a timed extractor fan which is set to be on for 15 minutes, however the timer is not kicking in for some reason.

Please can you advise me on how i can get the timer part working on the fan, or is the fan faulty? also is a fused switch really needed, if so with the wiring setup i have can someone advise me what i do about that.

We realy need the fan on after the light has gone off so all the steam from the shower is out of the bathroom.

Please e-mail me at [email protected], I have spent 2 full weekends on this and still no joy, it might be a simple thing that i have doine wrong, the only diagram in the leaflet with the fan is that to connect perm live, live and netural which i have done, its just the timer part i am stuck with please can someone help? - the make off this fan is a ADDVENT, and is not on a pullcord

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back