fan downlight / bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are these any good? The whole thing runs on 12 volts, so I cant imagine the fan being much good. Anyone fitted or used one? Are mains voltage ones available (so I can use a low energy lamp!)

Also, in terms of downlights, I'm after a low energy option, preferably using PL lamps, as they strike at full power -not waiting around for GU10s to warm up.

I have seen the vertical PL ones, where only one lamp is used in a 10cm cutout, but these dont seem to be widely available. Any options?

Sponsored Links
How long do your GU10s take to warm up? :confused:

The 12V fan/light combined units aren't awful - they're quite handy for putting over shower cubicles.

And there's nothing wrong with 12V fans.

1. How long do your GU10s take to warm up? :confused:

2. The 12V fan/light combined units aren't awful - they're quite handy for putting over shower cubicles.

3. And there's nothing wrong with 12V fans.
1. the new ones about 2 minutes. Old ones about 4.
2. OK Thanks.
3. Fair enough. I have no experience of them so didnt know.

I am really struggling with the compact sized PL downlights. Can only find JCC branded ones, and theres big price differences too.

We have fitted a few 12v fan/light's

We try and mount the fan on the wall if we can as mounting it on a joist can cause too much 'Humming' inside the bathroom.Also with the lamps why not go for the 50w equivalent L.E.D lamps? I see there coming down a lot in price now..£15 a lamp? Expensive but i doubt you will ever change one and the white light looks a million times better in a nice bathroom :cool:

Sponsored Links
I have been toying with the idea of LED downlights, and a fluorescent T5 mirror light above the sink.

I think in a small space with only a small amount of lights L.E.D's are the best option..i keep an eye on the prices and they have been coming down since they first come out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back