Fan wiring shower/wc area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
Still on the garage conversion..
I plan on installing a fan in the WC/shower. Can someone please just confirm if the fan electrics is taken from the lighting circuit. The WC/shower area is about 2.4mtr by 80cm. I plan on installing fan with timer, overun. Is this sufficient for BR? Fan would be in the middle of WC/shower room away from the actual shower area by about 25cm. Fan is not intended to by low voltage type, is this ok?
thanks
KS

Sponsored Links
I plan on installing a fan in the WC/shower. Can someone please just confirm if the fan electrics is taken from the lighting circuit.
It's usually done that way.

The WC/shower area is about 2.4mtr by 80cm. I plan on installing fan with timer, overun. Is this sufficient for BR?
The regs require "adequate means of ventilation". What's the throughput of the fan?

Fan would be in the middle of WC/shower room away from the actual shower area by about 25cm. Fan is not intended to by low voltage type, is this ok?
When you say not intended to be "low voltage", is it safe to assume you actually mean not intended to be extra-low-voltage, i.e. it is intended to be a 230V fan?

Are you working to the 16th or the 17th?

If you are DIYing the electrics it is inexcusable of you to not know about zones and what's allowed in each one.

What did you tell the council you'd be doing in order to comply with P1?

Thanks for reply,
I was contemplating the below;

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=68469-91

Extraction Rate 62m³/hr (17Ltr/sec)

..really I'm just doing some up front work/plans as my dearest uncle will be carrying out the work and signing off accordingly. I've a more impending problem of diverting the ring main as currently this goes overhead where the shower will be :(

you're right I've got to look up the zones again. What I have is a light already situated in a good position which I planned on using, however need to check the zones to ensure it is ok.

From the BCO inspectors perspective, I know he will want to see the electrics signed off cert, but shouldn't dig deeper. (not that there's anyhting suspect to find) He only was interested in dpc, lintel, foundations.
I've got PP and working to building Cert.

ta. I'll do a bit more investigation on the options/zones///
here's a pic of the ring main over where the shwr is planned :p

View media item 2694

Sponsored Links
Sorry - thought you were doing the work. Fan looks OK - how many changes/hour does that work out at?

Gotta say though that those holes in the joists look closer to the ends than 1/4 of the span.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back