Fan Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a timed fan in a WC.

I have just discovered it is wired using T&E with the earth wire (wrapped in red tape either end) as the live feed for the timer part of the fan. I would not have thought this is legal and four core should be used. Is the former legal. the fan itself does not need earthing.

Incidentally the spark who wired it also left the above cable resting over a flow pipe on the central heating.

Sponsored Links
This is very bad.

1) The cable should be replaced with 3-core + earth. On the assumption that you'll only be able to get the new colours, use it:

Permanent live - brown
Switched live - black, sleeved brown
Neutral - grey, sleeved blue.

Even though the fan doesn't need an earth, don't cut the earth core back - connect it to the circuit earth and at the fan end sleeve it and make the end safe with a bit of choc-block.

Do you have a 3-pole isolation switch?

2) When you replace the cable, re-route it to avoid the pipework....

Thanks BAS, thought as much.

We do not have a three pole isolator only a pull chord. I suppose the three pole is a means to break the circuit without having to trip the fuse out or turning the sytem off completely for maintenance purposes? Is it a legal requiremnt?

When you mention sleeving [brown and blue] is it okay to carefully strip off some of the new cable and replace the black/greuy sleeving with the carefully stripped off insulation?

moosehead said:
Thanks BAS, thought as much.

We do not have a three pole isolator only a pull chord. I suppose the three pole is a means to break the circuit without having to trip the fuse out or turning the sytem off completely for maintenance purposes?
Yes.

Is it a legal requiremnt?
Not explicitly.

When you mention sleeving [brown and blue] is it okay to carefully strip off some of the new cable and replace the black/greuy sleeving with the carefully stripped off insulation?
a) you wouldn't be able to do that, it'd be too tight a fit,
b) even if you could you'd risk leaving conductors exposed where old & new sleeving met,
c) there's no blue core to get blue sleeving from.

Use the right materials...

Sponsored Links
Thanks BAS - point taken about the sleeving.

I'll think about the thre pole as well while I'm about it. I've got two others in a utility room and a bathroom so I should also think about those too.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back