Bathroom Fan Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a new bathroom installed and one of the areas of concern is the fan has been wired with twin and earth, using black neutral red for continuous power, and the copper (earth) wire, covered in red tape, as the switched power to start the fan. The fan is 240v with timer.

Is this illegal or bad practice?

Sponsored Links
From what you describe it is not safe, please get an electrician to inspect/remedy it immediately.

That's so unsafe as to be in contravention of the building regulations, therefore it is illegal.

And a second illegality has taken place - if the work was done by a registered electrician, then he has lied on the certificate, and if it was not done, and certified, by a registered electrician then clearly LABC have not been notified. Either way, a second offence has been committed.

You need to come down on the bathroom installer like a ton of bricks, and make it absolutely clear to him that unless he fixes this, asap, and sorts out the Building Regulations notification (at his expense) he is going to face a sh*t-storm.

Thanks for quick replies, you have confirmed my thoughts, furthermore, following a search of this forum, the fan is located in a zone 1 area but is 240v!! I belive it should be LV with transformer Correct?
Ian

Sponsored Links
Well, it can be there, if it's IPx4, if it cannot reasonably be located elsewhere, and if it's on a 30mA RCD.

Who installed this bathroom, and have you paid them?

I'll check the fan label tonight for IP rating, the 'cannot reasonably be located elsewhere' maybe able to be used as the bathroom is small and wall space is limited, but it does not have an RCD. It's just on the general lighting circuit.
I have electric underfloor heating on an RCD spur. Would it be ok to separate the bathroom lighting and therefore the fan from the general lighting circuit and add it to the underfloor RCD, so all b/room services are on one RCD?
Cheers
Ian

That would be preferable to what you have now.
By the way, is ther a 3 pole isolator so you can service this fan with the lights on?

Checked fan and it's IP44, and these no isolator that I can find! I'll just have to service the fan in the daytime :LOL:

This sounds like a shambles.
It might just be the reason why part p was conceived

Have a word with your Local Authority Building Control at the Clown Hall.
I feel sure that they would be interested.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back