Fantasia fan light only dims but won't turn off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just bought a used Fantasia Viper ceiling fan / light. The fan and light all work from a remote control, no pull cords etc. The fan works fine, and the lights come on fine but they won't turn off, only dim. I've figured out the remote controls the brightness of the light, holding the light button down brightens and dims the light round robin style. But the light will not turn completely off using the remote, the only way to turn it off is the wall switch, which turns the fan off as well of course. I have two G4 type LED bulbs installed at the moment (came with the fan) ...any ideas? Could it be cheapo LEDs? Would buying better LED G4 bulbs solve the problem do you think?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think the new Viper fan lights now come with LED lamps. But not sure if the one the OP has is a new, or a used/repurposed one.

My older viper fan has some weird halogen lamp in there - Cant remember the name of it. I should replace the base and install an LED lamp really!

I replaced the driver unit with a sonoff iFan. It wont dim the lights but gives you a nice remote and control via your phone / smart speaker.

Perhaps the lamp you have fitted is not a dimmable version?

Sponsored Links
A snubber across the supply to the LED lamps might solve the problem.

There will be very small trickle of current through the solid state switch in the controller ( when OFF ) and an LED lamp can glow on this small amount of power. An incandescent lamp would get very slightly warm but nowhere near enough to visibly glow.

This leaked power can be absorbed by a snubber connected across the lamp

Capacitor 0.047uF micro Farads 250 volts AC in series with Resistor 100 ohms

Which come pre-packaged as a contact suppressor from RS Components.

As a contact suppressor it would be fitted between Live and Switched Live at the switch BUT as a snubber it has to be fitted between Switched Live and Neutral at the lamp..

KEMET RC Capacitor 470nF 100Ω Tolerance ±20% 250 V ac, 630 V dc 1-way Through Hole PMR209 Series
RS Stock No. 206-7869
Manufacturer Evox-Rifa
Manufacturers Part No. PMR209ME6470M100R30
There are other sources

A similar problem happened when a manufacturer upgraded a product to use LED lamps in place of the incandescent lamps.

The "fix" was an unpublished modification to the control module,

Suspected ( but not proven ) to be the addition of a snubber ( capacitor+resistor ) inside the sealed case of the control unit

Good evening

Please forgive reviving this thread but it seemed sensible.

I have three of the Fantasia Viper fans. The OP refers to G4 but they are G9. As far as I understand it, the early Viper’s had the E11 bulb, this was later changed to two G9 fittings and then the LED array came in Viper Plus.

I’ve found it very difficult to find G9 LED’s that match the 100w from the G9 halogen and had wondered about retrofitting the LED array that is in Viper Plus for some time.

I see mention above about someone perhaps doing that and I wonder if anyone has please, or would know what would need to be done? I have all of my down for a house move so the time seemed right. Otherwise I’m wondering if it’s better to look at a new fan entirely.

Thank you

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back