FAO Agile and coventry area plumbers..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Agile/Tony and/or any other heating engineer in the Coventry area

How much would you charge to come out and diagnose the fault with my saunier duval boiler? I'd be able to repair/replace the parts myself if i was told what needed changing!

many thanks

Naz

Sponsored Links
no, not gas registered but from what i have gathered studying at college we are allowed to work on cerain things as long as its for your own property and you get it certified.

Sponsored Links
And who is going to certify it?

Well I would have thought a corgi registered engineer?

We have been told by the lecturers at college that as long as your a competant person, you are able to undertake certain jobs involving gas within your own home.

You can work on any non-gas part of the boiler yourself.

Personally if I was Tony/Agile now I would stay well clear.

iron naz, how do you propose to prove your competance? i dont really want to get into the whole DIY gas debate, but my take on it was you didnt need to be qualified to work in your own house on anything, but if you created a situation where someone got injured you could be liable to prosecution. if you work for someone else you need to be Gas Safe Registered (NOT CORGI anymore)
are you working towards your gas? it has also been clarified you dont need to be GSR to work on certain parts of a boiler (again a bit iffy on some parts whether it is a gas part or not, ie SOME PCB's require the gas pressure to be checked adjusted on the pcb by a poteniometer (spelling??) if you have little experience do you want a gas engineer to visit, diagnose, get paid then leave, you then buy and fit the part, what if it still doesnt work, which is a fairly usual outcome depending on the problem

We have been told by the lecturers at college that as long as your a competant person, you are able to undertake certain jobs involving gas within your own home.

I think that you need to get a refund from the course that you are on... CORGI has been out of the frame for some time... Gas Safe is in the driving seat now.. Although I am sure that you may well find someone who is newly qualified and is desperate for work to sign off your work as his own, most decent chaps would laugh at the thought...

How do you propose to prove competency?

i propose you have to take exam where the pass mark is 100% to pass
and this exam is partical and tharetical
and that prove your comptance
and the exam should be expensive :oops:

I think that you need to get a refund from the course that you are on... CORGI has been out of the frame for some time... Gas Safe is in the driving seat now.. Although I am sure that you may well find someone who is newly qualified and is desperate for work to sign off your work as his own, most decent chaps would laugh at the thought...

I understand its now GasSafe however most people (general public) still refer to it as corgi. I wouldnt have any problems finding people to sign of gas work. However most of these guys would want to do the work also.

In terms of competancy, i've been doing plumbing work for nearly 2 years now (water only) for customers, friends, family, also registered with a local house letting company so regularly do small jobs for them. I've worked on my boiler in the past, changing the heat exchanger and never had any issues with it. Therefore i feel i'd be competent in dealing with any work i may need to do on the boiler, especially if its simply changing a diverter valve, switch, motor heard etc

I don't know why the gas people get so protective. There are plenty of people in all occupations who have certificates, but their competence is somewhat lacking. There are also those who have no relevant certificates, yet are world leaders in their field.

I understand its now GasSafe however most people (general public) still refer to it as corgi. I wouldnt have any problems finding people to sign of gas work. However most of these guys would want to do the work also[i/]
That's rather the point here - they are happy to sign off their own work but would not want to sign off yours, mainly because it's illegal to do so.

In terms of competancy, i've been doing plumbing work for nearly 2 years now (water only) for customers, friends, family, also registered with a local house letting company so regularly do small jobs for them. I've worked on my boiler in the past, changing the heat exchanger and never had any issues with it. Therefore i feel i'd be competent in dealing with any work i may need to do on the boiler, especially if its simply changing a diverter valve, switch, motor heard etcIf it's something non gas related then yes, you can do it, but you should be able to work out roughly what it is. If you post the symptoms on here we might even be able to help. If it's a gas part though then I suspect you aren't as competent as you think you are...does the phrase 'tightness test' mean anything to you?

In terms of competancy, i've been doing plumbing work for nearly 2 years now (water only) for customers, friends, family, also registered with a local house letting company so regularly do small jobs for them. I've worked on my boiler in the past, changing the heat exchanger

There you go, I've just diagnosed your boiler fault. It's the heat exchanger! :D

I don't want paying. Have this one on me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back