FAQs : CALLING ALL GAS FITTERS

what bike you got corgiman ?
im a biker too

have an r1
which i love to race on track days

Sponsored Links
Ah thats a sore point neal

the last bike I had was a 1200 sportster, I chromed it up to within an inch of its life, I converted it to a low rider with MASSIVE bars

then the first wife left me and i had to sell it, and I havent had a bike since cos the Loverly Mrs CM doesnt like them and at 36 I look at my little boy and dont like the idea of him having to spoon feed his pappy cos some moron in a Beamer wiped him out.

I have also found out last year that my Great Uncle (god rest his soul) left TWO perfectly restored vincent Black Shadows to his son who SOLD THEM FOR 2K a Piece

ARRRGGGGHH

I could just cry, I would have remortgaged me house to have em what a wassock.

My uncle used to be a bit of racer at brooklands back in the day and collected bikes

an R1 is a tad too fast for a fat plumber like me

:)

Ravenheat have had a lot of probs on this site so I put them in the troublesome section. :LOL:

Bear with me and see what all the others say. :D

Isn`t that because the are more likely to be installed by NON RGI !

God CM, in another life we were mavericks in our time.

Dave

Sponsored Links
God CM, in another life we were mavericks in our time.

Dave

where did that life go sog

Here am I earning a living. raising kids paying a mortgage.

It cant have been that long ago all i cared and worried about was beer tokens, riding like a mad thing and chasing skirt

*sob*

I have become my DAD

Woo is me

I'll have to admit to prefering older boilers, but the biggest problem I have is gaining access because a kitchen fitter has put a lump of wood in front of the boiler

I also can never remember model names and numbers

GOOD COMBIS has such a thing been invented
viessman :!: rolls royce money as well
worc cdi range only :arrow: repmobile money
ariston aco mffi range run of the mill ford with a few extras like weather comp :!:
ferrolli optimax reasonable boiler for runabout money :LOL:
BAD COMBIS
ravenheat
baxi
ideal
most of the bad ones are due to poor installation and cost cutting by the cust :rolleyes:
favorite boilers ideal classic/profiles/solos pf 3/baxi bermudas and very old ideals/potterton wall or floor mounted o/f and balanced,just love em :LOL:

CM nice story, we'l have to talk some more some time on a nother page.

fat plumbers can ride R1's (honest) i am one !

I really like the Worcester Greenstars but then they aren't really old enough to give any serious problems.

Baxis are a good meat and potatoes boiler there are a lot of them in my area so needless to say I see a fair few of them.

Really not keen on Icon23T, Ravenheat or Aristons but they do make me a good living

I like the 600 and 800 series Vaillants. Esay to install and never any come backs.

Baxi's are a good middle runner.

Hate Halsteads especially the Finest Gold hanging on my kitchen wall :evil:

At present installing, depending on customer Budget:

1) Worcester Greenstar 30 Si

2) Vokera Unica 28 or 32 He

3) Ravenheat CSI 85 B et

Have'nt had any problems with any of the above, and no call backs either(might be a bit early to say how reliable any of these are - oldest installation of Greenstar is 2 years), something I cant say for Baxi, Ideal, & Biasi. - 2 out of 4 Promax fitted had warranty calls within 3 months, 1 Isar pcb blew 2 hours after I had commisioned, 1 more Isar pcb blew after 2 years.

Must have fitted upwards of 30 Baxi 105e instants, 105 He's - boy are they coming back to haunt me - internal water leaks, failed aav's, exp vessel diaphragms gone, combustion chamber insulations disintegrated, Schrader valves leaking.

Sometimes I think that the drive for boiler efficiency has seriously compromised reliability.

When it comes to boilers, I tend to stick with what I know works well. Not because I am conservative and like for things to stay the same but because I hate to do unpaid warranty calls.
Have averaged about 1 breakdown a year on cdi’s, with only 1 of those under warranty, so I will stick with that for the time being.

I imagine most of us will do something similar which probably leads us to be biased.
My guess the only way to get an unbiased opinion is to search the forum on make and model and see how often they come up with problems. Bit of a job.
Even that will not give a completely accurate view as certain makes like ravenheat and heatline are much more frequently installed by diy/cowboys and could possibly have significantly fewer problems if installed and maintained properly.
I used to rate Vaillant as good as wb but have my doubts since they not only took over gw, but also seem to have integrated some of their technology and service quality. I haste to say this is second hand info.

As for the really bad ones, hardly a day goes by without a cry for help from a linea owner.
I have installed 1 ideal combi and had to wait for them to come out 3 times to fix it before I could even hand it over to the owner. It will be a long time before I try that brand again.

Heard good reports about viesmann, but never actually seen one, let alone installed and maintained.
Beside the issue of good or bad in itself, I find the excessive prices of certain spares for ravenheat, biasi, and halstead prohibitive.

Recently let myself be convinced to install a promax as we got an unbelievably good deal for the whole pack for a refurb and the flat goes up for sale so the owner was not interested in topquality and I am not convinced that joe public knows the difference but does recognise the brand Potterton.
Pro’s: cheap, easy to work on and poxi have a decent technical backup.
Downside: the individual parts have a decidedly cheap look and feel and come nowhere near wb or Vaillant. At least they are using decent pumps since a few years in stead of those horrible things they used to stick in.
The funny thing is, I have done some courses in their training centre in Dartford and the quality of those was A1. Nice new facility, trainers extremely knowledgeable and very professional. Could not fault them on a single thing if I tried.
On the whole, I would probably rate Baxi/potty as a decent boiler.

If you manage to work out a listing of some sorts like you mentioned, and my cap off if you do, I would start the quality issue with the importance of the quality of the work, and stress the importance of the quality of the work at the end of the listing.

something I cant say for Baxi, Ideal, & Biasi. - 2 out of 4 Promax fitted had warranty calls within 3 months, 1 Isar pcb blew 2 hours after I had commisioned, 1 more Isar pcb blew after 2 years.

Must have fitted upwards of 30 Baxi 105e instants, 105 He's - boy are they coming back to haunt me - internal water leaks, failed aav's, exp vessel diaphragms gone, combustion chamber insulations disintegrated, Schrader valves leaking.

Sometimes I think that the drive for boiler efficiency has seriously compromised reliability.

How many Biasi have you installed and what problems did they give?

If they are installed on a clean system they rarely give any problems!

To others what a wonderful selection of real life comments. What a pity some of you cannot get together to have an Indian meal out sometime!

Tony

Takin it back a bit CM coolest bike i ever rode was i think a late 50`s 1350 electraglide i was 15 no helmet what a buzz. Massive thing

HAve had few strange things throbbing between my legs - a Francis Barnett (I think, or was it a Burman?) which had a reverse gear, and a Kawasaki 750 2 stroke 3 which would spin the rear wheel and do a wheelie at the same time.
Bring back the LE Velocette.

Ideal - the MiniC wasn't bad - because it's a Biasi of course.

WHo said Tubomaves were good? Diverters!!
Worcs Cdi's, ditto due to being hard to work on.

Kestons - too many just plain unreliable.

Baxi/Potts I'd put in the middle.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back