Fascia to Soffit ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys. I want to convert my house from a plain fascia around the bottom of my roof to have a soffit. The main reason is my house sits in a dark corner of a culdesac and I want to have the down lights on the soffits. The first picture is of my roof now and the second is what I am looking for.

IS THIS A BIG JOB??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes its a big job, the rafters would need extended, another course of tiles added, not to mention the verges.

A lot of money for a few downlights imo.

Thanks bud- that's what I thought!

Don't suppose anyone has any ideas on adding lighting to the vertical boards?

thanks

Stick a couple of up down wall lights to the house mate. Soffit down lighters on anything other than ground floor are a little chavtastic

mR_LxStJ-55wqbbmqEMKWzQ.jpg

Sponsored Links
I would like the up/down lighters but I think these would be too hard to install the cabling down to the middle of the walls?

I would like the up/down lighters but I think these would be too hard to install the cabling down to the middle of the walls?

Well with the money you save from not doing that big soffit conversion you'll be able to chase new cable into render, then have the holes filled. In fact, you could have the whole front re rendered and painted and still have change! :mrgreen:

Ive been installing fascias and soffits for over 15 years and can only agree with the other commenters here.

You are looking at scaffold all round the house, all edging tiles off, felt trimmed back, timbers removed/cut.

Lots of new timberwork, new felt, new roofline boards, additional row/course of tiles.

It's gonna be quite a big job and you won't get much for your money; an extended overhang at the eaves for your downlighters but as far as I can see there won't be any other benefits, appearance of the house won't be improved much and it won't affect the value of the property...

Unless you have just won the lottery and are looking to waste money I would suggest looking at other lighting arrangements! What you suggested is doable but it's not a 5minute job that's for sure.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back