Fitting Soffits and fascia boards...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be ordering soffit and fascia boards next week to cover the existing boards ..
What I would like to know from the roofing experts and folks who have already done this job is ..

Is it alright to put the new soffits straight onto the existing ones , then cover the existing fascia boards with new fascia boards straight onto them using poly pins...

I ask because I heard before that some people have used wood battens onto the existing soffits before applying the new soffits onto the battens..
I cannot see what that achieves apart from lowing the soffits off the old soffits, if it is for ventilation the old soffits have none anyway, nor do the fascia boards.
Will doing the work this way be alright or what would you do..

Sponsored Links
Nothing wrong with overcladding as long as the existing is sound and free of rot.

Battening out the soffit is sometimes done to lower the new boards flush with the fascia to allow for a tidy fit of the new facings. makes it easier to fix in place as well.

Nothing wrong with overcladding as long as the existing is sound and free of rot.

Battening out the soffit is sometimes done to lower the new boards flush with the fascia to allow for a tidy fit of the new facings. makes it easier to fix in place as well.
so no need to batten before fixing soffits up, just put new soffits onto existing soffits.
I will be using the tongue and groove type cutting them instead of putting up in full lengths, what would you hold them up with in the grooves before sliding the next piece on screws or nail..

I asked about battens and capping because some people say the boards can rot due to no ventilation ...

Use pollytop pins to fix the soffits up.

If the existing boards are free from rot before overcladding they wont rot or decay after being overclad, why would they.

Just make sure you have enough tile going into gutter after cladding.

You can fix jointing strip onto the wall side then slide the plate into that, nail the front side which will be covered by the lip of the facing. http://store.eurocell.co.uk/Soffit-Board/Vented-soffit-board/40MM-PANEL-JOINT-WHITE-5M

Sponsored Links
Can I ask a few other questions regarding the fascia and soffits.
1...On facias do you mitre corners before fitting corner trims and how do you fix the trims on..

2.. Fascia boards are 25mm to wide so need to trim that off 5m lengths, what is the best way to do this..

3. Final question.. I hope. On soffits when l get to the corners I could just go to the end and follow around but would rather mitre it but the angles don't look 45% so how do I do this..
Thanks

No you dont mitre the corners, fix the corner strips on with polly pins.

The boards can be trimmed with a rip saw with a fine cut blade.

The corner joints in the soffits can be mitred and connected with a jointing strip.

don't forget the soffits are around 9mm thick and hooked on top off the "L" part off the fascia
i other words the finished fascia will be larger and lower than the original by around 21mm and further forward by around 12mm
so keep this in mind

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back