fast set grout...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
who's bright idea was that..?

"lets make a grout that sets in 30 mins and becomes unworkable in 20.. "
"and lets sell it in 5KG bags so they have to throw half a bucket away every time.."..

I had no idea that it would take so long grouting the floor..

am I suppose to get it in all the gaps and let it dry before sponging it off?

Sponsored Links
Have a couple of buckets of clean water ready and sponges.
If your not sure how long it will take then only mix up a couple of handfuls at a time.
Work a small area of about 1/2 a sqm to 1sqm depending on size of the tiles and how fast you work,you should be sponging off when the grout starts to feel firm.

Standard practice is to only mix as much as you can use in 30 mins. & clean up as you go as lancenotalot suggests. Once you’re experienced, you should find most walls/floors can be grouted & cleaned off in one mix, two at most; not sure why it’s taking you so long :LOL: !

who's bright idea was that..?

"lets make a grout that sets in 30 mins and becomes unworkable in 20.. "
"and lets sell it in 5KG bags so they have to throw half a bucket away every time.."..

I had no idea that it would take so long grouting the floor..

am I suppose to get it in all the gaps and let it dry before sponging it off?

like said you should only be grouting 1/2, 1 m2 at a time anyway. half an hour is plentyfull for a competent person. if you think that time scale is bad you should try and use flexible grouts on floors etc, you get about 5mins to sponge off, maybe not even that. often enough its grout and sponge one tile at a time.

Sponsored Links
mixing instructions said mix 5KG to 1L of clean water...
I'll know better next time... :)

floor area is 10m².. got about 4m² done before the stuff went off...
:rolleyes:

luckily I thought that I'd start along the walls where the units were going in case I messed it up, it would be hidden.. so I only grouted 600mm out along the 3 walls..

did 2 walls and then went back and sponged the first, then did the 3rd wall and went back to sponge the 2nd, then the 3rd..

so... unibond ready mixed is useless as well... or maybe it's just me..

comes in a tub.. takes 24 hours till you can walk on it.. stays wet in the grooves for hours but sets on the tile in about 4 mins... :rolleyes: so you try and wipe it off as you go like it says, and end up wiping half of it back out of the grout lines... :cry:

should have got another bag of the same stuff, but B&Q don't sell it...

and I'm never using anthracite grout again.. It's stained all mu hands and finger nails.. actually soaked into the nail..
I'll use white next time and let it go dirty... same look.. ;)

so... unibond ready mixed is useless as well... or maybe it's just me..
Well that just about sums it up; the first bit that is :LOL: .

comes in a tub.. takes 24 hours till you can walk on it.. stays wet in the grooves for hours but sets on the tile in about 4 mins... :rolleyes: so you try and wipe it off as you go like it says, and end up wiping half of it back out of the grout lines... :cry:
Why do you think pro's don’t use it! :LOL:

should have got another bag of the same stuff, but B&Q don't sell it...
Only if you also like sticking pins in your eyes & are happy to re-do it all in a few years time! As Jefoss said, "unibond make good glue; that's it"!

and I'm never using anthracite grout again.. It's stained all mu hands and finger nails.. actually soaked into the nail..
I'll use white next time and let it go dirty... same look.. ;)
Rubber gloves is what you need my dear. :LOL:

I have large hands and marigolds just don't fit...
do they do marigolds in mens sizes or do I have to shell out for some big rubber gauntlets?

i have a reaction to the grout, i only use powdered, you can either use barrier cream or some of that norwegian hand lotion afterwards, that one works for me.

i used to use rubi rubber gloves, come in a good big size, but then realised how gay i looked and prefer moisturising now :LOL:

i used to use rubi rubber gloves, come in a good big size, but then realised how gay i looked and prefer moisturising now :LOL:
Who cares; I think the blue ones look quiet butch & purposeful :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back