Fast Set

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have recently had my roof plastered using fast set due to the immovable wall paper that was on it.

However, as it was fast set I did not manage to get the finish I require. Therefore, I was wondering what is the best procedure to get a nice finish on the fast set?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have recently had my roof plastered using fast set due to the immovable wall paper that was on it.

However, as it was fast set I did not manage to get the finish I require. Therefore, I was wondering what is the best procedure to get a nice finish on the fast set?

Thanks
whats this fast set plaster called? ive never heard of it

Its a jointing compound!

Its designed to be sanded but coating a full ceiling and on top of paper i would be surprised if it will hold.

Sponsored Links
I've got to laff. Sorry, but wot a flippin' bodge. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Well at least it should of helped to loosen the immovable wall paper.... ;)

We used fast set as I know normal plaster would not stay up. I am confident the fast set will stay up as I got 4 different opinions before doing it. I got advice from 2 plasterers, our decorator and also a builder.

Anyway time will tell. Where I am at just now is how to get a nice finish on it? I was told I can sand it down using 80 then 120 sandpaper and was also told there is a device similar to a plasterer's trowel and you attach a net to it. So not sure what one to go with to get the best finish and least mess (I know it will be messy)

Just overboard the ceiling and skim it with regular finishing plaster i.e. T.B.F.
You will wish you had never been born, sanding a ceiling.

Unfortunately plaster boarding the ceiling was not an option due to old style coving which we want to retain.

So where I am at is I have a ceiling covered in fast set and I need to get a good finish on it for painting. Any ideas?

I agree with the lads, not the right thing to have done, but you are where you are. Try this method, it will give you a good result..
Buy a 17 ltr tub of "Gyproc Pro-Mix Lite". Trowel on a "thin coat" of pro-mix over the whole ceiling and let it dry, (not set) but dry. Pro- Mix dries in air, so a thin coat will usually dry overnight with normal background heat/ventilation ,, anyway,, when that coat has dried, skim another thin coat over it again, let it dry out thoroughly again, then sand it all down with a 150 grit sandpaper. It will sand very easy, but the smoother you can put it on, the less sanding you'll have to do. Always skim one coat of Pro-Mix onto a "dry "previous coat,, you need the suction.

Cheers for the advice mate. I realise what I have done is not the ideal solution but I think it was the best one available considering our schedule and budget. Hopefully with a bit more work I can get a decent finish.

I was not told that it would give me the finish I required and I was informed that I would have to sand it once set.

At the start of the job the ceiling had about 3-4 layers of wallpaper, of which I managed to scrape all but one layer off. The last layer was old school wallpaper probably dating back, close to when the house was first built (1920-30). This layer was extremely difficult to remove (it was a bit like cementing gloss paint to the roof). I tried scoring it and steaming it and it took me close to a full day to get a small patch off.

As I mentioned the room had nice coving which I wanted to retain so putting plaster board up was not an option. I was also told that you could not plaster over it as the weight of the plaster would most likely pull it down, at least in certain bits. It was at this point I had to seek an alternative solution and was informed that fast set would stay up and I could sand/scrape it down to get a good finish.

As mentioned above I am where I am and I was looking for the best and hopefully easiest way to get it to a decent finish as I was told that sanding is extremely messy. Therefore, I was hoping to get some advice which would hopefully let me avoid sanding it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back