Fat mans loft.......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am a rather fat man and I have just bought a house with a loft hatch that is no larger than the joist distance apart. I want to re-locate it to the landing and make it much bigger (4ftx3ft) to enable me to put larger items up in the loft. Are there any building regs that relate to this that I may need to abide by or am I free to go ahead and do it. Also, I want to find a loft ladder solution that will hold my weight as all of the fold out aluminium loft ladders I have found so far seem to take a maximum of 15 stone and I am 23 stone. I would consider a wooden step solution (which would mean installing permanant steps) so wanted to see if there was a heavy duty aluminium solution first.

Thanks.

Alex.

Sponsored Links
firstly do you have roof trusses or a traditional cut roof.

a photo will reveal all. ;)

It is a tradional cut roof. It was built in 1928 and only has supports round the outside edge of the loft leaving lots of free space in the middle of the loft which is where the hatch will be placed.

in that case you can trim away, but you may need to fit a ceiling binder or reinforce whats there, to take up the remaining load.

Sponsored Links
lol thanks.

I am going to support the exsisting with joist hangers on each joist end and on the end of the trimmers where they fix into the complete joists.

Alex,
The cost of doing the alterations might outweigh the need. Firstly, how often do you think stuff will really need to go up or come down from there? Does the stuff really need to be stored up there, if it is to go up and come down regularly? Regular opening of the loft hatch will cause condensation (leading to mould) in the loft. Finally, does it have to be you, who ventures up there? Depending on the strength of any load spreading flooring up there, its possible that each ceiling joist might not take the pressure of 23 stone through your 2 feet at mid-span, without flexing the ceiling below.

Folding wooden loft laders are available.

Best of luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back