Loft Ladders?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning on getting my loft hatch widened and putting in some retractable loft ladders in the next few weeks.
I have had a look around at the different types of ladders available.

Is it better to go for wooden or aluminium ladders?
Aluminium seems to be cheaper - also wouldn't they be lighter?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sponsored Links
I'm looking to do the same thing. I was swayed towards aluminium too because it is more than likely lighter and won't rot/rust.

you said you were having your hatch widened so may be you would know whether the hatch door has to be hinged to pull down rather than one that you lift up into the loft space. :?:

Down I would think.

I am considering getting a loft hatch /ladder combination - you just open the hatch using a rod & the ladder folds down. The ones I have seen fold away nicely when not in use & do not require must space in the loft.

Sponsored Links
adwt2004 said:
I was swayed towards aluminium too because it is more than likely lighter and won't rot/rust.

Do you not have tiles on your roof?

I have the one with curved blue handrails, it is a Blue Seal. I have the 3-section one as I have high ceilings. It is infinitely better than using a stepladder. Mine is also handy to reach the landing smoke detector which is placed beside the loft hatch.

You need a bit of room for it to lie down on the loft floor, and have enough space between the hatch and roof slope so you don't knock it with your head or back and dislodge tiles (I am very clumsy :oops: )

The loft hatch has to swing downwards on hinges with these. Try to place it so that it will not hit you on the head if it comes down unexpectedly (mine sometimes does in high winds.

Kilgore said:
Planning on getting my loft hatch widened and putting in some retractable loft ladders in the next few weeks.

I went for a Wooden Loft Ladder & Hatch Kit from B&Q in the end.
Pleased with it so far - it was fairly easy to fit along with the help of a mate. The hatch surround boxing is made of a decent quality and the actual ladder has decent sized rungs, much wider than any I have seen on aluminium ladders.

All though the little plactic hook that they supply with pole to open the latch broke the second time I closed the hatch! :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back